Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Frogfish, Moray Eel and Trigger

Hi everyone,

I need some information!!! I bought a Nigger Trigger, a Frogfish and a Moray Eel on Friday and I don't really know what the best food for them is :help: I fed them some tiny goldfish on Sunday and I only saw the Frogfish eat. My Trigger is a pig and eats mysis and brine shrimp. Is there something else I should be feeding them? Does anybody own any of the fish I bought?

Just a small story for you guys: I woke up Saturday morning and couldn't find my Eel anywhere in my tank. I just happened to look on the ground and found him lying there on my hardwood floor. Very carefully got the net and put him in the sump. Poor guy was all dry and stuck to the floor. Amazingly, he survived and just got all of his color back. Boy, did I almost have a heart attack. Made sure to secure the lid on my tank. :fish3:
    125g with 40g sump

Well, I'll bite my tonge, but please research before buying next time.

The first problem you're about to run into is that you're likely above the bio-load your filtration will be able to handle. Those are 3 fairly big fish and a 90G only feels big. You'll need to watch your water quality. Live foods will only make it worse.

The angler (frog fish) can be weaned from live food, but you'll likely have to wiggle what you want him to eat on a stick to entice him into eating. In the mean time, please DONT use goldfish. Aside from having no nutritional value, they're hell on your water. Angler's care is similar to a lion fish. I'd suggest googling for details, but if you can't find something specific, check the same for a lionfish.

Until you ween him off live food, look at acclimating FW mollies. Somebody that's kept an angler might have a better idea.

The eel is also a predator, but there's many species of moray, please post some specifics. They are as you've noticed escape artists, possibly only second too octopodes. Keep a tight lid. Diet wise they eat krill, fish, shrimp, squid, scallops. You can hand feed him once he's trained & you'll likely find what-ever's on sale in the fresh fish area of your grocery store (without many bones or shells) is an inexpensive way to feed him. Kill is probably a staple.

The trigger will eat much the same as the eel, krill being a likely staple. Add snails, small clams, & shrimp to the list of possibilities.

But each of these animals can exceed a foot in length. If you're keeping all three I strongly suggest you start getting ready for the 180G tank you'll want, or think about finding one or more of them a new home. You have too many large, messy eaters in too small a set up IMHO. I'm sure somebody else will be happy to give a second opinion though.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Ty

Thank you for the info Krugar. We bought them from Big Al's but they didn't tell us that they would get that big. We put them in our 40g not our 90g so that's worse. The manager told us we could bring them back. What should I do? Should I wait and sell them when they get bigger or bring them back and choose something that won't get as big. Wish stores had proper information on saltwater fish. :crap:
    125g with 40g sump

Info

You wanted the specific names: Dark Spot Moray Eel, Freckeld Frogfish and a Niger Trigger. Well that's what Big Al's is calling them although I haven't found the names on the web anywhere.
    125g with 40g sump

Quote Originally Posted by CoralReefManiac
    Thank you for the info Krugar. We bought them from Big Al's but they didn't tell us that they would get that big. We put them in our 40g not our 90g so that's worse. The manager told us we could bring them back. What should I do? Should I wait and sell them when they get bigger or bring them back and choose something that won't get as big. Wish stores had proper information on saltwater fish. :crap:
    Did the manager tell you he would give you full credit back? I wouldn't be surprised if you only got $10 back for each fish.

At the same time you should have done some research before buying the fish.

I would have QT'd those fish individually. I'm not sure how agressive towards each other they'll be in a tank that small. Gut instinct is that it's pretty risky. But I've nothing to back that up.

On fish size the niger trigger grows to around 12".
    The Dark spot Moray, I don't recognize do you have the scientific name? Maybe a Gymnothorax favagineus which I know as a leopard eel. (The joy of common names...)

Here's a decient list with pics, does he look like any of these: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/morays.htm

Some morays can exceed 6'. A true moray can get very large. If you do have a leopard/tessalata/honey comb eel (Gymnothorax favagineus) they reach 5 feet & change.

The Freckled Frogfish is likely a Antennarius coccineus, they're pretty small frogfish, 4 or 5 inches.

For a 90G if you can't ID the eel, I'd suggest finding that one a new home. There are some eels that stay quite small and are very suitable too your set up. It's also quite possible the store has mis-identified it as a Moray. See if you can get it's scientific name.

If the eel is a small one & you're into preditory tanks you're probably okay.

If not, I would decide between the eel & the trigger. Keep 1 of them. EDIT: Keep 1 of them with the frogfish, if the eel is large, but not a 5'+ monster

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I had a Wartskin Frogfish that I was not able to get onto frozen foods despite trying for three months. I had to give him to someone in Nova Scotia that had access to live marine feeder fish. To this day he is still not on frozen foods.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Here is a site that might help you figure out what fish would be best for your tank.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=15
    I want a bigger tank! :biglaugh2

Hi everyone,

Krugar I looked at that website and i'm almost sure it was a Muraena retifera, the Reticulated Moray. I got sad and good news I guess. Thanks to Krugar(for telling me how big they could get) I was able to bring all of them back to the store for a 100% refund(In store credit). I thought about keeping all of them for a while but then what would I do with oversized fish for my aquarium. Better if somebody with a bigger tank buys them. Kind of sad though because they were awesome to look at. Thanks for all of the advice and do you guys know of a really good place or website to buy fish? Is Aquaria Canada a good one. I need a website that gives me info on everything from corals to fish. Cheers everybody :wink5:
    125g with 40g sump

Just wanted to say that they did get along good together. The trigger and
    Eel would sleep in the same cave. The frogfish tried to eat the trigger once(had half of his body in his mouth) but decided to spit him out. They were ok after that.
    125g with 40g sump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast