what is this white thing ?

Hi,

I bought my rock aug23 and put it into my new (2day old) tank.
    I was told the rock was uncured (LFS had it for 2 days only...) and it did have several black patches of die off.

One rock had this white thing (a very clean/bright white), that the next day started to go black at the top edge, working down to the center. The dis-coloration spread over a few days, and it appeared to snivel up.

I figured this was just a (be-lated) natural die off, of some kind of sponge and thought it would soon all be black/dead.
    But I was wrong...

The dead patch stop spreading! The resulting dead spot looks suspiciously like a thumb print, btw. The black spot then started to become covered in a white coating -- sorta looked like salt creep, or some other deposit/buildup.

After a few more days, some of this white coating seemed to just go away.
    The underlying section still looks dead - just not covered like the rest of the dead patch.

So now its been 3.5 weeks, and there hasn't been any significant change for at least 1 week, maybe 2. The white seems to had gotten a bit 'dirty' with green and red tinges here and there -- maybe leaching some pigment from algae ??
    I have part of this thing exposed to light, and part shaded, in an attempt to see if it likes some light or not. But there seems to be no noticible difference between the lit part vs the shaded part. Maybe a bit more dirty in the shade... Guess it needs more time.

There does actually seem to have been a very small amount of growth, as the honey-comb structure has raised, or swollen a bit (...might also be my hopeful imagination)

I still think (wild guess) it is a sponge, but was unable to find anything the remotely resembled it. (it is flat on the rock) But from what I read, sponges usually don't survive after being exposed to air. This rock was out of the water for at least .5 hour when I got it... but maybe this is one of the few survivors (assuming it will survive, knock on wood) ?

Can anyone help ID this thing ? I would really like to know what it is, and figure out how best to care for it (lighting, maybe feeding ??) since it is my first ever marine 'thing'...

Is it a sponge ? a mushroom ?

Thanks ,
    -mike

(here's the pic)

Had a little trouble uploading first time...

Looks like a rather good looking coral to me. Can't help with an ID unfortunately.

Lookes like the skeleton of a Favite Brain or an Acan to me.
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

Looks like bleached coral.

...but if you look at the enlarged photo you can see polyps, so I don't think the rock is entirely dead.

definitely a dead/bleached brain coral.. Nothing to worry about. The color it's getting is probably just algae forming or detritus.

Thanks for the help guys.
    It does indeed look like some sort of flat, colorless (bleached) favite brain.

So bleaching is due to loss of zooxantheallae and it might actually recover -- can be fatal, but apparently not always. To me, it looks like some of it definately died off, but some still looks to be alive... for now. Probably not much longer though...

So how do I get some of this zooxantheallae... ?
    It's a new tank with no other coral (that I can see, but hey, I thought it was a sponge...) so there probably isn't much of that floating around...

If I bought a live favite brain, would some migrate to the bleached one ?
    Does this sound feasible ? Or not even worth a try ?
    (I wanted to wait a bit more before getting some coral, but would consider rushing it some if there was a potential to save this one)

Thanks again,
    -mike

Most of what you see on live rock is just dead coral. I have a lot of what you have in my tank. I got quite a few peices when I bought 50lbs of Live Rock from Ivan.. I doubt it will revive itself regardless of what you do..

Quote Originally Posted by mdugly

So how do I get some of this zooxantheallae... ?
    It's a new tank with no other coral (that I can see, but hey, I thought it was a sponge...) so there probably isn't much of that floating around...
    zooxantheallae algae doesn't "float" around the tank, it is created within the coral itself. A coral will loose it's algae when it is stressed/dying and under the right circumstances may recover on its own but this is difficult. In your new tank it would not be possible and probably much too late due to the fact the stress was the shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by mdugly
    (I wanted to wait a bit more before getting some coral, but would consider rushing it some if there was a potential to save this one)
    You just gave yourself the best advice out there. Don't rush out and do anything when reefkeeping, it never works out well. Let your tank mature and when ready buy a nice healthy favia brain and you will enjoy it much more.