Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Live rock

I am a newbie . I have a question about some live rock I bought. I found a little creature in one of the crevases. It looks to me like a sea urchin but the spines ( needles) are sparse. It is a reddish color and has red and white stripped needles. It is quite small the size of a dime or nickle. I have not been able to find a picture of this anywhere. And it is alive and well. Would anyone have an idea of what it is ?

Thanks in advance

BANE :speedbana

Smile

pic would really help. probaly by description a urchin of some type

welcome to AC!
    Sounds like a mystery to me. Got a digicam? Could you take a picture of it and post it?
    "Mmmm...Skimmate"

Creature

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I have taken one shot. It is not very clear because it is sitting in a 2 inch deep crevase. But you can kind of make out what it looks like. The little disc on the bottom is more brown that red ( which shows in the pic) . Hope this helps. The Store thinks it is a hitch hiker that is not good for the tank. I hope not I would love to keep him !

THank again

Is it mobile or attached to the rock?
    Nick

It Moves but I have only seen it move back and forth in the crevase. The store said to take the rock out of the tank and place it in a bucket and then it will come out. But won't that kill my live rock ?

Do you meant that it waves back and forth 'in place' or that it actually changes place? You could get a turkey baster and direct a gentle spray of salt water at it to see if it is loose. If so, you might be able to position it for a better picture (the one you posted is out of focus so I can't tell much). If it's attached, then it isn't an urchin (which are mobile). What does your LFS think it is that would be bad for the tank?

Putting LR in a bucket (with no water) for a couple of minutes shouldn't do serious harm. Even putting it in fresh water for short time wouldn't be too bad: people often do fresh water dips to remove parasites.

BTW:

[welcome]
    Nick

It moved back and forth in the crevase . I tried the turkey baster thing.. didn't work ,, it didn't budge. then I touched it with some tweezers. the thing is hard rock. I couldn't budge it .. even its spines were solid .. I know it moves I saw with my own eyes. But it is really wedge in this crevase and I was shocked how hard it was.. I will take a better pic as soon as I can ..

BANE

Welcome to AC BANE. I would put the piece of rock in a bucket with salt water and some food at the bottom for a few days to see if it will come out on its own. If the thing is bad for the tank you do not want to introduce it because it will be impossible to remove later. Better to do it now and better safe than sorry. A better picture would really help if you can get one.
    Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Here are more pics , hope they help

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast