Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

False perc riding my overflow box

The other day I went downstairs to have a regular check of my tank and was surprise not to see my two false percs. They usually hang on together and never get separate. As I watch closely into the tank I couldnít see were the bigger (my female) was.

After a while I decided to check into my overflow box just in case. I couldnít believe my eyes. The female was stuck tightly in there. I had to stop everything and tried to have her going upstairs the second part. It took me a while as I finally put some food in there and it attracted her out. Took her gently and put her back in the main tank.

She did the same thing last week as I was away for scouting for a few days. Iím just curious to know if there is anything I can put to stop her going into the overflow box.

My overflow box is a CPR 5013 and hanging on the side of my 77g. The box is connecting to my first sump.

Any suggestion would be appreciate.

Thanks

Fred
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

So she can swim freely in and out of the box from the tank?

Id prolly just move the box and hope she doesnt go in again,
    by doing so it may disrupt where they hang out. another idea would be to move some rock arond too, perhapse it isnt appealing anywhere else in the tank for them to hang out.

second option would be to put some sponge in there (although you'll probably have to make sure it doesnt get clogged.

Best
    Jeff
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

You might need to rig a barrier that would be small enough to prevent the fish from entering but large enough to prevent cloging, some sort of plastic mesh might do the trick "like the mesh LCBO uses to prevent bottles from breaking".
    HermitCrab

Thanks guys for the info.

Bram: Unfortunately, she can only go in and can't get out after because she's sucked to the bottom of the overflow. I did try the sponge but notice after a while that my Nitrate were going up.

Mschmied: That's a good idea I never thought about that solution. (Plastic mesh)

But how do I make it stay there. Is there any non-toxic glue or something else I can put.

Thanks

Fred
    180g AGA inwall W/ 2 overflows W/ 205g sump 20g fuge, 77g W/ 30g sump 12g fuge w/mag 9.5 pump.

I would go with Silicone.
    HermitCrab

Egg crate & crazy glue gel might work. This time of year you can also find the stuff they use for roses. It looks like a large pastic mesh.

Anyway whatever you use, cynoacrylate based glues (crazy glue) are reef safe.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Thanks Krugar I will tried that. :biggrinbo

Id try to stop te clown form going near that part of the tank rather then worry about blocking it off. If they are hanging out near there enough to keep getting sucked down, id worry about that, hopefully she wont get stuck against the mesh
    GL :wink5:
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Iím surprise because they usually stick on the other side of the tank. Iíve been away a lot lately but my other half told me that they were hiding under the big tunnel rock Iíve set.

I have tons of Pods in my overflow box. Would that be the reason why she keep staying closer to my box?

Fred
    :confused-

Hey Frederic,

I had a similar problem before :crap: . I would maybe once a week find my goby in my sump. Then my cleaner and peppermint shrimp. I finally decided to block everything off with eggcrate. Works perfect, holes are small enough so that the fish don't go through and big enough so that my drain and everything don't clog up. I cut it to the perfect size that way it would just fit in and I wouldn't have to use any glue. Let us know how it goes. hyeah:
    125g with 40g sump

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast