Help, Help, Help

Hey everyone,

I need some advice on what I should do :help: . I bought a sailfin tang on Sunday. By the time he was acclimated it was around 7:30. Yesterday he was eating just a little bit but today nothing. He doesn't swim around the tank anymore, he's at the back of the aquarium, lying his face on a rock and just staying there. From what I can see, the left side of his body is fine. Any suggestions on what I should do, would help. Thanks a lot.

Eve :bawling:
    125g with 40g sump

Have you checked your water parameters: temperature, sg, ammonia levels, etc.? If you have a hospital tank or QT, you might move him there until you sort things out. If everything checks out OK, it's possible that he might be sleeping or still adjusting to the tank.
    Nick

My water is good. I tested it for pretty much everything. All my other fish are fine :confused- I had a QT before but I am using it to breed clowns. I got a pair in there right now. I was thinking to maybe put the sailfin in there for now :help: The only problem is....how in the world am I going to catch him. I just fed the tank a little bit of cyclopeeze and nothing. I meen he moved but did not eat. :help: :help: :help:
    125g with 40g sump

You can saturate his food in garlic, to make it seem more appealing.
    I dont know if this will help if he isnt swilling anymore
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Not eating this soon isn't that big of a deal. Stand well back from the tank & have a coffee. See if he comes out after a couple minutes. If he does watch how he swims & what happens. Is there another fish bullying him? If he's coming out, it won't be right away, be prepaired to chill out & stay pretty still for at least 10 minutes.

Laying on his side can be an issue, but I've seen a few tangs hide that way. It is possible he's just a bit freaked out. My hippo still turns sideways to hide in some rocks. But he also swims backwards to back into some.

In the mean time, what are the actual parameters of the tank? Are you dosing anything? How long did you aclimate & how?

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I'm curious how long and how people acclimate their fish. I have been told to add a 1/2 cup of tank water to the bucket every 10 minutes or so until the volume in the bucket has roughly doubled (about 1 hour) and then net the fish into the tank.

It's not a matter of time, it's a matter of parametres and matching them.

You need to match salinity, pH, and temperature and this needs to be done gradually.

Usually you can do that in an hour, and the example you've given isn't a bad one, but it may be fast. You might want to look into dripping rather than using a cup.

I'd check the parametres after 30 minutes, and every 10 - 15 minutes after that. Once they match you're good.

There's a caution on this though, some species are terribly senstive to minute changes. Regardless of the parameters you may need to drip some animals overnight (clams come to mind immediately.)

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.