Thread: moving to nano

moving to nano

Ok,

so I've decided to switch to the 29 biocube from a 90gal. No room in our new house we are building for the big aquarium. When I built my 90 I went with large crushed coral bed, but I want to switch to sand for the nano. I'll be taking some of my LR + saltwater out of the 90 to start the cycle, but I have a few questions:

1) Can I buy new sand only, or do I need live sand? I have about 4 weeks before I move livestock over. I'd like to avoid buying live sand if I can...
    2) How long should I expect it to take to cycle before moving over my clowns and inverts?

I have to move on November 29, so I'm trying to decide:

Option 1) if I setup the 29 now, and move the livestock over to the new tank, then move the new tank to the new house, I can sell the old tank, and not have to have it moved
    Option 2) Setup 29 now, get it cycled, then move it to the new house and introduce livestock as part of the move. Move 90 to new garage, and sell fro m new house.
    Option 3) Wait to buy, setup the 90 in the basement on the floor of the new house, setup 29 upstairs and wait for cycle to complete, then introduce livestock and sell old tank.

All of this depends on how long I should expect cycle to take...

Obviously option 3 is the smartest way. I sold my house 3 months ago and moved into a rental until my new house is ready, so I've already moved the 90 once, and am not looking forward to doing it a second time.

Your opinions are appreciated...

Thanks,

FYI, I will also be eventually selling the following:

225watt VHO lighting
    6 foot stand (black) with hood
    LED moonlite (homemade)
    Prizm PRO deluxe skimmer
    30-40lbs LR
    90 tank
    2.5" bed of crushed coral
    medium sized hippo tang (the saddest part of downsizing)
    medium sized flame angel (also, the saddest part of this)

Is it better to sell as a system, or break it up and sell as components?

For what I can read there shouldn't be any "New" cycle. If your taking water and rock from an established tank now and going to the new one it should be ok. When I moved my tank to our new house a couple of months ago I did the same thing that your talking about. I had a sand bed that I wasn't happy with so I bought all new sand (Not live just sand) put it down in the aquarium and from there water.....so on so forth. Oh and don't forget to rinse the sand first. Hope this helps.

Oh and set-up three is probably not really the smartest way of doing it. If I was you and of course if money allows I'd buy the new tank and and all the goodies now so when you do move it will be one less thing that will go wrong. Oh and set it all up even if it's with regular water just to make sure that there are no surprises. When setting up a tank surprises suck!!! Trust me there's always something that goes wrong when moving. And there are always priorities when moving and the tank might get put on the back burner if it's not "Quick" to move. Better to have the "Bugs" worked out of it now.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by mike536
    For what I can read there shouldn't be any "New" cycle. If your taking water and rock from an established tank now and going to the new one it should be ok. When I moved my tank to our new house a couple of months ago I did the same thing that your talking about. I had a sand bed that I wasn't happy with so I bought all new sand (Not live just sand) put it down in the aquarium and from there water.....so on so forth. Oh and don't forget to rinse the sand first. Hope this helps.

Oh and set-up three is probably not really the smartest way of doing it. If I was you and of course if money allows I'd buy the new tank and and all the goodies now so when you do move it will be one less thing that will go wrong. Oh and set it all up even if it's with regular water just to make sure that there are no surprises. When setting up a tank surprises suck!!! Trust me there's always something that goes wrong when moving. And there are always priorities when moving and the tank might get put on the back burner if it's not "Quick" to move. Better to have the "Bugs" worked out of it now.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Actually that is a big help, and the surprise factor was not something I had considered. I decided to buy the stuff anyway (just came home with it) so I guess I get started setting it up.

It's pretty nice little setup. Lots of room in the back to mod and add a small skimmer. I've seen some really nice mods to the lighting for the jbnanocube to put in MH. No doubt it won't be long until the mods are out for biocube. Everything I read says the biocube is the better of the nano cubes.

Thats awesome. Can't wait to see the pic's!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott