Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question 10g Anemone/lighting querry

Hey guys, my kids would like to have an anemone (thinking BTA). I don't want to put one in my main tank.

I have a 10g tank that has been running 6 months or so as a fuge (LR and sand). A 110w PC fixture, filters, heaters etc. sitting on a shelf.

Couple of questions:
    - is this tank big enough for an anemone?
    - is this lighting able to support an anemone?
    - no spare skimmer, will this be a major impact? (can do water changes from main display as required)

Thanks

full size anemone, no.

a BTA or a small carpet is ur best bet i think. light is adequte for those two type. with LTA u might need stronger.

no need a skimmer, i've run most my tank skimmer free for long time. just make sure u change water regularily to replenish essential elements etc.

hmm pretty small. the reason I say that is the water chemistry can change way to fast in a 10g

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rock
    hmm pretty small. the reason I say that is the water chemistry can change way to fast in a 10g
    That's one of my concerns also Johnny, with the pc's (although appr. 10w/g),I figure you would probably have to feed the anemone more often. Offset this by more frequent water changes or larger cleanup crew? not sure.

if u feed lots, change water lots, anemones make a mess when they eat... clean up crew will just increase the bioload too much

i think u'd be fine with a small carpet or BTA, i've done it before they've been fine

Hey Willy....thank's for reply.

what size tank did you use?

20, no skimmer, just two powerheads... that was my first reef tank. 4NO lightbulbs

had a carpet for 2 years before i went bigger... no problems... except a worm eating my zoos

IMO can and should are different. A 10g with a bta is asking for trouble let alone a 10g with a carpet. I guess it could be done but IMO shouldn't. Odd how everyone here (aside from Johnny Rock) seems to be saying go for it and everyone on another board says not to.

As I've said in your post on the other forum, you'd be better off getting a long tipped plate coral or some other coral that can be within your display and cared for as well as move to the new tank when you finish your upgrade.

Keep in mind anemone's don't just stay small. They grow, and should grow fairly fast. The only reason an anemone will stay small for a prolonged period is from improper/inadequate diet and improper/inadequate housing.

Just my 2¢

I agree....if a critter is not able to be kept healthy in a setup, it should not be put there.

An anemone is by no means a necessity for me to have, just a thought with established smaller tank and extra lighting laying around.

Look into a tulip anemones. They're a species of majano, but they can be quite striking and generally grow no larger than a looney.

They do reproduce quickly & thus many people consider them pests, but they don't have the sting of aiptasia & don't kill other coral (unless they smother it.)

These are about the only anemones you should keep in a nano tank. Anything else will out grow the tank if you're keeping it healthy.

To give you an idea, a BTA grows to be 12" or larger, an LTA can reach 20", a carpet the same. Imagine any of them in your 10G tank, long term it's not a good thing.

You also have to consider how much they can sting & what else you might have in that tank.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast