Clown fish Question ?

I have a question about a clown fish I just aquired. I have had him 2 days now and all he seems to do is hang out at the bottom of the tank in the corners. I found him on the bottom this morning moving ( looked like he was moving the subtrate) .. my tank is fine as far as all the #'s go .. I have a fire shrimp and a hermit in there already and they have been doing great. I am just concerned that the clown is going to die. Is this normal behavior ? He does move and he ate the first day. ..

Thanks

Bane

Can you give us some more details: type of clown, tank size, water flow, lighting, age of tank, etc.? Where did you get the clown (local pick-up, Interenet order)? Did you put it into QT? How did you acclimatize it to your tank? Also, if you could post the actual values for your test parameters, that might be useful.
    Nick

He is actually swimming around now.. He is a Percula Clown. In a 12 gallon tank .. I have a power head in the tank for flow along with the eclipse sytem filter. All the Paramerters Salinity is 1.025 @ 80 degrees. Ammonia is 0ppm , nitrite and Nitrate are also 0. PH is 8.0-8.2 ... The tank is about a month and a half old. He looks to be ok now ..

Bane

I think that sounds quite normal for a clown. He'll move the substrate to dig a hole in the corner so he feels more secure. Clowns generally don't swim in the open, but rather prefer to hover around their house.
    George

I just got a 4-5 yr old Percula from my friend on this forum. I feel the same way. She stays under a little rock cave and only comes out to grab food..

Guess it's normal
    Working out the details on how to steal Toby... :devil2:

It depends on the fish. My male (true, off banded perc) is quite shy, he hovers around the rocks and sticks close to them. He doesn't really hide, but he's not really curious either.

My female (ocellaris) is very agressive, threatens the tangs & butterflies if the get too close, bites me if I get too close, and patrols her territory. She'll occasionally launch incursions into other parts of the tank. She stays semi close to the rocks, but has no fear of anything that's not a green fish net.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

I'll agree with Krugar on this one. I have a perc. who is constantly around the top of the tank and leader of the pack when it comes to feeding time. Most of my tank is open air (ie., 1/2ft of live rock and then 2 1/2 ft of nothing) and he tends to hang out in the wide open water and swim like a madman.

Mind you, my maroon clown (lost him awhile back) used to just run around and bully fish. Mostly stayed in the depths until someone was doing something he didn't like.

Clowns

Hello again eveyone. Well I have had a bad bit of luck with 2 clowns I recently purchased from Big Als Pointe claire . The first guy ( the one in the posts) was lethargic .. I knew there had to be something wrong with him .. He did not eat and was extreamly thin.. Needless to say he did not survive more than 5 day. I went back to the store and one guy said it was probably and internal parasite ( no fault of mine) Anyways they were kind enough to give me another one at half price( some policy of no refund on saltwater fish) . The second one was stocky, swam like a mad man, and ate like a horse.. On the 5th day he developed the muckous around his gills ( supposedly this in common.. ) I did not have the adequate equipment at the time to treat him . But he died in a matter of hours. So needless to say I am quite turned of of purchasing another clown for now.. I feel like I murdered the poor buggers. I have a fire shrip who is thriveing through all of this and my water quality is dead on .. Don't know what else to do. I would like to buy a fish that is a little more hardy like the shrip but is colorful. Anysuggestions. Remember I only have a 12 gallon tank.. I have a power head in there to give more curculation.. ANy help is appreciated .. thanks

Bane

Clowns are typically pretty tough fish. I don't know the reputation of the Big Als in Pointe Claire, but if you're 0 for 2 you might consider going into Montreal.

There's a few people on the board from your neck of the woods, perhaps they can make a recommendation.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Sorry to hear about your lost.My female jump out the tank last week so i know the feeling too.

Have you ever consider Damsels ?
    I like the 3 or 4 stripes ones...

Good luck!