Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Timers

Light Timers

I need to pick up 2 timers. 1 for my 2 MH, and 1 for my 2 VHOs. I have a few questions. Is it ok to use 1 timer for both MH ballasts? If the timer has only 1 plug, can I use a splitter type adapter to allow both to plug in? I suppose I could just get a 3rd timer though.. Would a timer like this be ok?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Are there any others you recommend? Or anything else I should know about timers before I buy them?

That would probably work. Alot of people use timer 52-8817-6 from Canadian tire as they are regullarily on sale for $10. To decide if they can run multiple MH's you need to look at the package for the timer and it will specify the maximum load they can handle (x # of amps) then make sure that your lights are less then this.

get a cool one like i have from coralife

Why don't you "get" me one! :wink5:

i'm in the market for some timers too but i've heard some horror stories about the coralife ones and then there are people that say they've had no problems.. oh the beauty of the internet such contradicting information. But i think i'll play it safe and go with a canadian tire type one

keep me up to date with what you find!!

Quote Originally Posted by colesy
    I need to pick up 2 timers. 1 for my 2 MH, and 1 for my 2 VHOs. I have a few questions. Is it ok to use 1 timer for both MH ballasts? If the timer has only 1 plug, can I use a splitter type adapter to allow both to plug in? I suppose I could just get a 3rd timer though..
    My opinion: I would use a seperate time for each MH. This way, you can have 1 MH come on a few minutes (ie 15mins or so) earlier than the other.

Guess it really boilds down to preference as long as the timer can support the wattage.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

mine works perfectly, until my HOB skimmer overflowed and dripped on the timer (digital) and smoke appeared...

dried it, now it works again.. lol

sure mike i'l "get" you one, just have "money" rdy for me

I personally like my GARRITY timers. I have 4 of them and they can be remote operated from my family room without affecting the schedule. They are not that heavy duty (can't operate more than one MH) but at the price ... I bought a few and offset the timers by 2 minutes.
    I have a lot of Patients

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker
    mine works perfectly, until my HOB skimmer overflowed and dripped on the timer (digital) and smoke appeared...

sure mike i'l "get" you one, just have "money" rdy for me

lol... point taken..

Quote Originally Posted by Ricepicker

Lucky, usually once you let the smoke out of electronics, they never work again. Smoke's supposed to stay inside

As to the timer, before I got my controller both MHs (250s) and the cooling fans for them were all on one timer using a power bar, my VHOs were on a seperate timer.

I don't recall the model, but I picked them up from CT for about $10. Just check that they can handle the power you're going to put through them & you'll be fine.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast