Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Talking New to Saltwater

Hello everyone!!! Well I finally decided to join you saltwater craze people hyeah: I have kept freshwater aquariums for more then 15 years so I think it's good to change a little well it's a big change. :wink5:

I have a 25g that Iím currently cycling with Fiji LR since Saturday. 2 pieces were uncured and the other 2 pieces are cured. The 2 uncured were curing for about a month before I bought them that's what my LFS told me, the other 2 are cured because they had them on their display tanks.

Should I do water change during the cycle 10% each week or 20% each 2 weeks :confused-

As for equipments I have 2 maxi jet one 400 and the other 600, heater of 100W and a Current Orbit Power Compact lighting 24" 130W

I'm aiming to do a simple reef system but yet successful.

welcome, looks like ur off to a good start...

research and ask questions before u buy anything, the information age is just as what its for! peoples experiences are invaluable!!

any plans as to what u wan tin?

You don't have to do a partial at all during the initial cycling. I'd wait until your ammonia tests 0 and nitrites also test 0. Then start your partials.

Unless there's something (a hitchhiker) you want to keep. Then you need to watch your water chemistry during the cycle. Don't worry about the various crabs & pods, they're very tough. What I mean by hitchiker is if you discover anything "cool"

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Well fish and corals, but i have mostly done research on fish. These are the fish that most caught my interest:Clown Goby, Yellow, Firefish, Clownfish, Neon Goby, Kaudern's Cardinal, Bicolor Pseudochromis, jawfish/yellowhead and for invertebrates : Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab, Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab. Are they all compatible?? and how many could i fit in my tank ??

Krugar do you mean the bristleworm that's on pic 1 and 2? Is it good to keep?

They're part of the clean up crew, good to keep but can be creepy looking. Not sensitive enough to worry about doing partials during your cycle. I've found live bristle worms & pods in a bucket of lr I forgot about for over a month.

Temp went down to the mid sixties and there was enough evap (bucket was sealed) for the salinity to go up over 1.035. I won't describe the smell...

Not much else lived, but the pods & bristle worms....

What I meant by "cool" hitch-hikers would be bits of coral, interesting (non white) sponges, shrimp (mantis & pistol frequently hitch hike), urchins, interesting starfish, anemones (not majano / aiptasia) etc.

Some people have found fish and and brown octopus as hitch-hikers.

From the amount of uncured live rock you have, really exotic finds are unlikely, but not impossible. (Hey somebody wins the lottery.)

Cheers!

Hello! I just got home and saw my tank water yellow brown color I turn on the tank light to see it better and I found that some spots on the sand, LR and glass having this brown "algae"???? I read the thread "Live rock question"
    Itís almost the same but his it's only on the LR mine is everywhere!!!! Is it normal?? Should just close my eyes and leave it??? The LR only has been in the tank since last Saturday. :bawling:

That's normal. You might look at getting your first batch of snails & hermits if it bothers you. Otherwise it's part of the process.

Cheers!

i wouldnt worry about it, its pretty normal for a new tank...

also u might wanna consider re-positioning ur powerheads... the point isnt' to create a whirlpool (as it looks like it will do there, with one point foward one pointing horizontally), you wanna create non-laminar flow in the tank. strong current will also prevent growth of some algae

How should I position the powerheads :confused- both horizontally or both pointing forward :confused-

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast