Thread: Ideas

Ideas

Okay guys,
    I just got a FREE 55g aquarium and I need ideas.It has a cracked bottom that I am replacing with 2in acrylic so I can drill it if I wanted to.
    So as the title says I need some ideas,fish only or reef? I was thinking of a reef but it will cost a bit to MH that baby.I was also thinking of a fish only with some lions.
    I love my 5g pico reef but I am a huge fish fan so I am kinda stuck.I am leaning toward a fish only.

Any Ideas?
    thanks-
    Nano-king

55s not big enough for any cool fish liek lions or tangs... ur better off sticking with a reef

also, if its a standard 55, its probably 48" long and not very deep, so i would suggest going for T5 kits they sell here on AC rather than MH.

acrylic is harder to drill unless u get it done professionally... i personally think its a waste, glass is easier and cheaper.

lastly, i don't like bottom drilling, more room mistake IMO...

go reef

I know,I am going with rear drilled.Tempered glass? or just really thick glass.I am going to go with a reef,I want to keep SPS and LPS corals.T5's are what I was thinking,but I don't know anything about them.

I am not shure which way to go for filtration.I have never used a skimmer just a fuge.

that system, if u really want a skimmer, look into the coralife SS3003 its very efiecient and good price.

T5s are grea, just a quick search around and u'll get same replys, how ever they dont do the shimmer thing MH does..

maybe u can looking into a single pendant supplementing the T5s if shimmer is important to u

temperd glass shatters when u try to drill it... its shouldn't have to be too thick... i think for 55g 1/4'' or 3/8'' will do it

Yeah,they do have some powerful MH pendant setups.$300for 400watts,sweet! But the shimmer affect isn't very important.
    I am not going to drill the bottom,just the back If I wanted to.

If the aquarium is glass with a cracked bottom you can't use anything on the bottom other them glass. Acrylic and glass don't bond together. Well i'm sure everybody as stuck acrylic and glass together but not in the appilcation of the bottom of a tank. I'd hate for you to get a sheet of acrylic and cut it to find out the "hard" way IE water all over the floor that they don't bond. And just think you could use all the money you save for the acrylic and spend it on a skimmer and sump. And really cool things like controllers. (I can finally say that. I got my controller working!! Thanks Johnp. Ok back on track Mike!! Sorry it's really early here!! :speedbana )

Oh and you don't need 400W MH's. 250's would be more than enough. See more money saved!! Who says this hobby sucks the money right out of ya???
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

The tank is a bow-front acrylic,and I know that acrylic only sticks to acrylic and I can get some free lexan (probably wont stick).
    Could I just repair the crack?Like with an acrylic glue or silicone?I have never had a tank so big,or have had a crack in the bottom of a tank,or have had an acrylic aquarium.So I have many firsts.

Smile

no you cannot fix the bottom at all with acrylic. you would have to replace the entire pane of glass. free tanks are not always free are they.
    getting a piece cut for a bow is probaly more $$$$$$ than a new tank and besides,, bowfronts are a pain anyways. pain to light properly and they have a wierd distorted look from any angle besides dead on. IMO

If it is an acrylic tank then it will be even harder to fix. The problem is the acrylic bottom is essentially "welded" to the sides. In order to replace it you would have to have the existing piece removed the outside edges returned to a perfect smoothness and then have a piece of acrylic cut to perfect dimensions to fit the opening. Any spaces or gaps and you will have leaks or worse it will burst after being filled (and maybe not until the fish are in).

You could try to patch the bottom leaving the existing piece in place assuming the crack does not reach any outside edge.

Personally I wouldn't turn this into a reef, you will never be sure what will happen.

Hmmmm,a quandary.
    One I find my usb cable I will show some pics.