Question sunlight in a tank

is there something wrong in placing a tank to close from a window is there something wrong in sunlight in a tank for algea...

My guess would be no because a reef in they ocean lives with lots of light...

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    It used to be thought that placing a tank near a window would promote algae growth due to sunlight. This is not the case.

Go ahead and place your tank there
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

there was an article in a fish magazine a few years ago i read that involved an experiment of keeping a mini reef by a window with no extra lighting... as ugly as it was, it did well.

excess light IMO will cause some algae, but its more nutrients in the water that make algae grow.

i say go for it, but u have to watch out for excess heat from sunlight...

Talking

Thank you for reassuring me I was pretty sure it was OK but wanted to make sure of it as for heat it is placed close to 2 air conditioned vent...

and by the way I am upgrading my system from a 55Gallon to a 125G I will use my 55G as a sump...

:speedbana :speedbana YAAAhOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :speedbana :speedbana

doesn't the AC duct turn into a heat duct in the winter...? i assume u have central air...

i'm more worried about greenhouse effect with tank by a window...but i don't know for sure...

there is a thread on RC about solar tube and some people have been using the light from the sun to light up they tank with a supplement of halides. It will save you money and the looks is pretty good actually. You will get the sunrise, sunset, cloudy days and all.

To get back on the thread, sun is not making any problem to growth algea. If your system have good parameters, there should not be algea.
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Thank you all for your reply

If the window your placing it next to gets direct sunlight (head on), you can angle a mirror like ~45* ontop of the tank which will help add some light. Some people have PICO tanks, a small pump, no other filtration besides lr, ls and natural sunlight.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

Generally the problem in Canada is that our sunlight is too dim to be really effective a the main source of light in a tank.

People using light pipes (solatubes) typically are in the southern climes and will still be supplemented with actinics.

Fresh water tanks tend to have a higher nutrient content and will get more algae with direct sunlight.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.