hermit crab warzone

Hi,

I put in 15 blue leg hermits last week for a 55 gallon tank. I didn't think 15 was too many, but there is a war on with 2 casualties that I know of.
    Question: Will they kill each other until one is left?
    Also, I got 5 astreas. One died yesterday. I did a 20% water change the day before, but as far as I know the temp, SG, PH were the same as the tank. Hoping these guys last longer....

Question: Is it typical to expect snails/hermits to die off...sort of like a consumable. need to replace every few months? I'm hoping this is not the case.

Question: If not, what should I be looking for as to the cause of snails dying?
    thanks.
    thien

Hermit crabs do tend to do battle with each other, and they like to attack snails, kill them and take their shells as new homes. I started off with small hermit crabs, and have monsters now as they keep upgrading shells whenever they can find them. Having lots of empty shells of various sizes is a good idea as it allows them to find them and move in without depleting your snail population. You will get a certain amount of die off, as in almost any purchase of large amounts of livestock.

all my turbo snails are dead! i'm not sure if they were killed by hermits or attacked by pyramid snails. I will have to stick to bumble-bee snails (all still alive) and perhaps a whole bunch of blue-leg hermits - do they eat algae? how many would be suitable for a 72gal?
    Albert
    My Photos

my blue leg hermits have been awesome...wiping out all traces of algae on the rocks. I just wish they would learn to climb on the glass
    thanks.
    thien

For the you would need the Flying Walenda hermit crabs. I hear they are great.

whats that?
    Thein? have you considered lowering some ropes from the top so that they can climb up? or perhaps a little step-ladder?
    Albert
    My Photos

rope? hmmm....never thought of that. The hermits like to stay on the rocks tho.
    thanks.
    thien

ijo
    thien:

1)You will need to stay ontop of your snail and crab population... they do die.. your counting them now but my guess is you will eventually stop. so to answer your question... purchase a few(crabs or snails) everytime you goto your LFS... this way your sure to stay ontop of it all.

2) they just die... if you notice a snail on its back... turn it over as there are very few snails that can turn themselves around(nassarius can). If you don't... its as good as gone. I would be worried if you noticed a lot of dead snails in one day... test your waters!!

Hope this helps

IJO