Dropped too much food in my tank

Dropped a a quarter of my frozen cyclop-eeze bar in my tank (problems with the freezer made it very soft). Now my entire tank (20 Gallons, 3 months old) is full of red food floating around. What should I do?

Filter some out with a net if you have one. Monitor your amonia, nitrites and nitrates if they get out of hand do a water change.

Do a 50% water change asap. This would at least remove half of what you dropped in. The rest, see if you can remove it manually with a fine net. Your skimmer may go nuts so keep an eye on it if overflowing is a problem for you. Having food in the water column is not much of a problem, it's the mess you're left afterwards once they food breaks down into ammonia. See if you can change another 50% of the water tomorrow. Good luck.
    George

wouldnt changing that much water in a couple days be too drastic? That might do more damage then good for such a smal tank.

I would just try to remove as much as you can manually...and just watch your levels. It shouldnt be too bad.
    I want a bigger tank! :biglaugh2

Get it with a net. i dropped in a loag of flakes the other day, what a pissoff
    serves me right for shaking the thing instead of grabbing it out and putting it in
    Who says Dogs are the only creature that's happy to see you?

Pics --> http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s...r=1248&cat=500

Quote Originally Posted by WitnessToThis
    wouldnt changing that much water in a couple days be too drastic? That might do more damage then good for such a smal tank.

Drastic? Maybe a little. hyeah: But not nearly as harmful as spilling a load of food in! It'll take about an hour to filter out the large bits of Cyclops-eze, but I'm sure much has dissolved in the water already. I find cyclops-eze quite 'oily', so the only quick solution is dilution. It's not as hard on the livestock as I once thought. After hearing Anthony Calfo and how he's doing 100% water changes weekly, I've been a little bit more brave lately in the quantity of water changed.
    George

It's not the end of the world. Scoop out what you can with a net, clean your skimmer & filter a couple times and let the clean up crew have a late thanks-giving feast.

If you're worried skip a day's feeding.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.