Thread: LR qestion.

LR qestion.

I have had 2 big pieces of liverock in a big bin for the last 3 months.. I just set up my Sump and wanted to add the rock to it?

first thing.. the other day i checked the salinity and it was over 1.30 due to neglecting the topup on bin.

so i added fresh water to bring it down to 1.024.

anyhow i was told to wait a few days and smell the rock.. i did and it smells like wet concrete. no odour. is it safe to throw in refug?

also my tank is mature and has over 150# of LR in it. aswell im pulling some of this rock and putting into sump. and im using water changes to fill sump before i start it up.

let me know what you think..

I don't see any signs of death or life on rocks.. they a very clean.

i dont see a big problem, beside if u have a mature system like that even if a few lbs of rock went nuclear it will be fine

Another LR question, if I may.
    The 90g tank will (hopefully) be set up [plumbing, stand and pumps + substrate and water] by Christmas...What's the recommended/average amount of LR for a 90g tank (yes, I know it will depend on aquascaping- just looking around for an idea on how much budget to put aside for LR).

Many thanks as always for the input, it is always greatly appreciated.

I have heard around 1 lb per gallon. Personally I have around 170G in a 125G to create a "wall in the reef" effect but it really depends what look you are going for.

Quote Originally Posted by fish
    I have heard around 1 lb per gallon. Personally I have around 170G in a 125G to create a "wall in the reef" effect but it really depends what look you are going for.
    The 1lb /gallon rule is really out the window as this will change depending on the type of LR. If you hold a piece of figi in one hand and a similar size piece of something like Myaki they are much different weight. The thing you are trying to get is surface area for bacteria to colanize and more porus rock will give you more surface area then solid. The other side is what look you want to have.

I agree with ShipWreck that the type of rock is important. However, as a rule of thumb to start planning, 1-1.5 lbs/g is a reasonable place to start.
    Nick

Thanks for the input everyone. I'd never thought of the relative weight of the various types of LR...can you tell I'm new at all this?
    Ok, the next issue/question I have is : what type of LR should I be considering? The plan for the 90g is to have it setup as a reef tank. LPS, SPS and fishies is what I want to setup...any recommendation as to which LR to look into? Fiji, Vanuutu(sp?), Haitian...?

Many thanks as always ,

Jean D.

Quote Originally Posted by nickb
    I agree with ShipWreck that the type of rock is important. However, as a rule of thumb to start planning, 1-1.5 lbs/g is a reasonable place to start.

Rock density does vary by region. Florida rock tends to be a lot denser than Pacific rock. Fiji rock is the most commonly used. That's the main rock which Ivan gets in. Vanuatu is more expensive (and a lot less dense) but is also good. Tonga rock is another type which is good. I don't think you can get Haitian LR (I thought LR collection in the Carribean area was illegal). Any combination of the Pacific LR would be good. I'd start off looking at what Ivan is selling at AC. Everyone who has got LR from him has been very impressed by the high quality.
    Nick

yes you can get haitien lr. i can get some. also the best porous type i find is totoka but not sure if u can get it anymore but thats what i have in my tank and ive never seen pourous rocks like that before.