Thread: 29g lights

29g lights

Hello
    I have 29g ( 18" deep ) with 2x65w pc and 2x24w T5 lights on it. Which corals i can keep under these lights?

Thanks

Some Mushrooms, Polyps, Xenias Maybe a Galaxia and even you could try a Sebae Anemone they don't need as much light as the others :eveilman:

i've never had a sebae live on me, so i don't get them no more lol... i actually feel that carpets are easier to keep, but they;re a tad big for 29g..

I'd say most LPS and most softies you can be fine with.

BTA should be fine too.

sorry to jack up your post. i didnt get lights yet but i have a 20 gal which is 13" deep.... im wondering what lights would i need for an anemone for my clowns? maybe some corals later...

working on budget here trying to find the best light setup ... i heard T5 but my want something that would fit in my existing hood which has 18" NO lights in them... Thanks in advanced!

Best thing for small tanks are PowerCompact Lamps or T5's if you wanna go with an anemone get good actinics thats for sure

Mike. I keep lps like Lobophillia, Cynarina and Fungia under 130W of PC lighting on a small deep cube. They do not grow supper fast but are very healthy, happy and deeply colored. These corals are on the substrate 24" below the light hood and have been slowly but steadily growing for more than six months. The Cynarina is actually much happier in my tank than it was under the MH unit where I bought it.

Some varieties of lps grow in deeper or turbid water where they do not get blasted with full sunlight all day long. Don't think that you can not try any lps just because you don't have MH. Just research which ones are adapted to lower light environments.

Hmmm... Seems to me that what is being described is lots of light. 2x65 +2x24 = 178W over a 29G works out to 6.13 w/g which is pretty respectable especially over an 18" deep tank. I have about 1000W over a 125 short (8w/g) over a 24" deep tank and I am having trouble with a couple of my polyp colonies closing up when the MH come on. One I have managed to shade so it is doing OK but the other one (right at the bottom of the tank) is not and is not doing well.

If I had gone with 2 x 250MH + VHO I would only have 5.6 w/g and I think that this configuration would probably have allowed me to keep just about anything.

I would think you could keep a pretty wide variety of LPS/softies under the proposed lighting system. Might not grow super fast but I would think you would be OK.

Am I missing something?

keep in mind PC not only has less intensity, it has less PAR compared to MH or T5, rememeber the watt/gal rule is not a rule, but a guideliine... (poor one at that.)

Quote Originally Posted by bluemantr
    Hello
    I have 29g ( 18" deep ) with 2x65w pc and 2x24w T5 lights on it. Which corals i can keep under these lights?

Thanks
    I have a 29g with the 2x65w coralife light.

I have:
    pink frogspawn, 9 months split 3 months ago
    green hammer just got it today!

candy cane 10 months, has 4 new heads
    trumpet coral might be my fav,6months split 2 new heads
    mushrooms and ricordia 9 months 3 for the ric
    button polyps 9 months old
    zoas 7 months...

had some xenia, but it withered away, not a lightin issue, more of a trace element issue I think, will give it another shot
    and a leather that I got today.