Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Jean's new 90g saltwater tank...

Evening everyone,

I had this going at the tail end of someone else's thread, and thought I should probably move it to it's own thread.

After about 4 months of waiting for things to settle down after our move to the new house, I finally setup the new tank on it's stand. The tank is an AllGlass Aquarium 90g, with overflow, came with the overflow 'piping' kit- basically a Durso-type overflow and dual-nozzled return.
    The tank sits on an AGA stand (a Christmas gift from my wife) that has been heavily modified to support the estimated weight of the 90g + LR + salt water that is planned.
    I finally got putting in the plumbing last week- and learned that one shouldn't assume anything when it comes to plumbing! Measure 3 or 4 times, check again, measure once more for good measure and then cut!!!

My original foray into plumbing wasn't a great success- I didn't have the patience/time to build myself a proper acrylic sump tank (I have built about 2 dozen for others in the last 6 months), so I used a food-grade rubber container. In and of itself, no problem with the container. The problem was isolating the return pump to stop it vibrating like crazy and still get everything into the limited real-estate that the container offered.

Faerin (aka Matt, aka 180g in-wall guy and all-around nice person) came by on Thursday to take a look at it all, and very diplomatically suggested other alternatives to what I had done... I've lengthened the return line to be able to move the pump away from the wall of the rubber sump and shortened the overflow 'down' line so that it's not ski-ramping back out of the sump!

So far things are working fairly well- just eliminated my micro-bubble issue by putting a fine mesh bag at the end of the overflow 'down' tube...it breaks up the bubbles produced, but doesn't affect water flow. Woohoo! For those wondering; I used the little 'party favour' bags we used for our wedding. They are the perfect size for the 1 1/2" ID tubing and are long enough to be held in place securely with tie wraps (all plastic!).

I'm seriously considering building in-place a new sump tank of acrylic that would be twice the size of the current rubbermaid bin- my current setup won't allow the attachment of the Coralife Super Skimmer- there isn't enough room in the bin for it. As I don't want anything hanging off the back of the tank, I don't see much of an alternative. Of course the way the stand is built does not permit easily sliding a sump in and out of there...sigh. Adding a secondary bin and using bulkheads and a tube to inter-connect might also work...thoughts/comments/ideas?

Sorry for the long-windedness of this initial post. I'll update with pictures after work tomorrow.

Again, my thanks to Faerin (Matt) for coming over to have a look and to share his thoughts on my setup- it is much appreciated. And my thanks to all who have posted responses to my numerous questions- you have helped me out a lot as well !

Jean D.

I would build a sump from a larger fish tank and install acrylic or glass partitions to create bubble trap, refuge etc.. I recently converted a 40g breeder tank with great success.

I had rubermaid containers before that and linked two containers together with 1.5" bulkheads and tube.. it was a huge bottleneck so I was forced to throttle back my return pump. It was a waste of my time.
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

The rubbermaid containers do work well for a lot of people (I've seen some pretty elaborate setups using nothing but rubbermaid containers), but I agree that a real sump is the way to go if you can manage it. Two rubbermaid containers would work fine though, as long as you use a bulkhead big enough to handle more than the flow of the return pump.

The filter socks work great for reducing micro bubbles, but just be sure to clean it every day or two (they can quickly become a nitrate factory). The gurgle from the overflow I believe is from air in the pipe ... one of the plumbing experts on the site will have better insight into solving this than I do, I'm sure. But I'd imagine some kind of airline from the overflow pipe extended above durso intake would help.

Thanks Matt...I'll look into another rubber maid container, but with a larger pipe (2.5-3" pipe...so 3.5-4" bulkhead hole). It would certainly be easier to do than build a sump in place! I'll check Home Depot later on this week (unless the baby makes an appearance sooner!) and see what I can find.

I've throttled back my overflow (to about 90%), and the water is flowing much smoother- the overflow in the tank hasn't risen, and the levels in the sump haven't moved from the hash mark I put on the outside...I think I'll be ok now. Of course I'll have to shut down the pump and pull everything out again to do the additional rubbermaid container and bulkheads Who knew it would be such fun!

Jean D.

Sorry for the thread jack..
    Is this the Jean Dorais that worked @ the Translation Bureau?
    If not please ignore

Quote Originally Posted by Jeandorais
    Thanks Matt...I'll look into another rubber maid container, but with a larger pipe (2.5-3" pipe...so 3.5-4" bulkhead hole). It would certainly be easier to do than build a sump in place! I'll check Home Depot later on this week (unless the baby makes an appearance sooner!) and see what I can find.

I've throttled back my overflow (to about 90%), and the water is flowing much smoother- the overflow in the tank hasn't risen, and the levels in the sump haven't moved from the hash mark I put on the outside...I think I'll be ok now. Of course I'll have to shut down the pump and pull everything out again to do the additional rubbermaid container and bulkheads Who knew it would be such fun!

Jean D.

Personal details should be kept to private messages guys. It's mainly an internet safety issue. Likely not a big deal here, but anyone & everyone can read these forums.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

No worries Krugar...ask Matt/Faerin, he'll explain why I'm in no danger : ) PM sent twisty.

Jean

Ok,
    So now things are getting interesting...my father-in-law was at the house today visiting my wife and saw the 90g for the first time. Thought it was really neat, cool, wonderful etc...but wondered why we hadn't put it in the wall like some he'd seen? So, the possibility now exists (before I put any LR in the tank) that the tank may be moved to the wall between the tv room and the office!!! Faerin, I may be asking for a tour/hints/tricks and tips for putting a tank in a wall ! I've been re-reading your thread and I've got a lot of questions (no surprise there,right?!)

Jean D

Quote Originally Posted by Jeandorais
    Ok,
    So now things are getting interesting...my father-in-law was at the house today visiting my wife and saw the 90g for the first time. Thought it was really neat, cool, wonderful etc...but wondered why we hadn't put it in the wall like some he'd seen? So, the possibility now exists (before I put any LR in the tank) that the tank may be moved to the wall between the tv room and the office!!! Faerin, I may be asking for a tour/hints/tricks and tips for putting a tank in a wall ! I've been re-reading your thread and I've got a lot of questions (no surprise there,right?!)

Jean D
    Glad to hear it.. In wall tanks will look better than the best tank stand in the world.

I bought a 90g aga today that I am replacing my 60g in wall. The tank is actually in my office closet and the front of the tank is in an open concept area for my living room/dinning room.

Ask all the questions you need. Were all here to help.
    Click For Pictures

90g AGA Reef Ready bare bottom with 100lb of cooked Hatian LR, 40g breeder sump, Mag9.5 pump, Coralife 48" Auqualight Pro, Euro-Reef RS135, Sequence Barracuda pump, SpectraPure Maxcap RO/DI

Hahah, I had a feeling you might ... you seemed pretty disapointed that you didn't get to stick it under the stairs :P

It will definitely give you more operating room, that's for sure.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast