Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question does high Nitrate levels=mature tank?

Hello again..
    I've set up my 75 gal SW tank with crushed coral sub, fuval filter, pwr head, 3/4 LR with some lava rock as base...I also used Cycle (bacteria) to jump start and it's been happily cycling for 4 weeks now. My question is! I've never had a spike in nitrate tests, but my nitrAte levels are climbing steadliy for the last week, but still not dangerous (current level is 30 ppm). It seems too early for the tank to mature. Does the nitrate levels indicate maturity?
    Any & all help is much appreciated..tankx

make sure you have zero amonia and zero nitrites - then you're in business.
    Albert
    My Photos

Smile WAA HOO...

ALRHA..thanks! I wasn't sure & didn't want to make a costly mistake, but that's awesome news! Should I be maintaining a perfect level for a few days, just to be sure?

cant hurt. coral the hardest part of the hobby is now behind you - he he, just kidding. put if you have the patience to wait - you are off to a good start b/c with marine environments, patience is (almost) everything. think of how long god had to wait for all his reefs to mature - he he
    good luck and keep us posted
    Albert
    My Photos

Coral,

This is going to be a reef tank? Or a fish only tank?

Reason im asking is becouse for a fish only tank Nitartes up to 50ppm can be some what safe for fish only, but the will kill corals.. Ideally a reef tank you want Zero Nitrates now most cant adcheive that so they end up around 3-5 ppm.. atleast i do ..

How many pounds of live rock do you have in the tank?

hiya Toooloud,
    my aim is to have some featherdusters, inverts & a few hardy coral along with fish, (since I'm just starting and don't want to try anything to advanced.) I've got 28 lbs of live rock.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

ijo
    Coral... I think your making a good decision on starting with the easier to host fish and corals... I would recommend more live rock as this is the main filter for your setup... if you must run the fluval... run it without any media and make sure to clean it monthly or it will raise your nitrates(I also run a tank with a fluval... its doable).

I would shoot for 80 pounds in total for your setup. If cost is a factor.. purchase a few pounds everytime you visit your LFS(as long as your not there every 30 minutes hehe) and you'll have that tank filled in no time. Hope this helps.

IJO

IJO, thanks very much...
    I'm hoping to add more LR, cost is a factor, but I'll take your advice and add bits at a time.
    I appreciate your info on the fluval, I get the feeling it's not your favourite choice?
    Thanks again for your time & thoughts.
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Any Mechanical filtration is not a great choice.. Just becosue of the fact of the waste and food breakdown.. as it does not happen in mechanical filtration.. and then It breaks down into nitrates as there is nothing to process it!

OY! I thought mech filtration was essentail! :what3:
    *sigh* I have much to learn!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast