Some Advise Please

Before I draw up plans for a new sump box to hold live rock can someone tell me why it is necessary. I already have what used to be considered to be a pretty good system. I was getting good results with it. When did Bio Balls and or Blocks stop being a good place for bacteria to live? The other equipment I have is from experienced manufactures and is in good working order. The total water flow through this sump is approximately 800 gallons per hour for a 100 gallon tank. All the water that enters the sump is pre-filtered through a simple sponge that is cleaned daily.
    Will live rock in the sump supply more total square footage of space for bacteria to live on? Is it a mater of keeping PH and hardness in the right range? I know I must be missing something here because it seems that EVERY ONE is doing their sumps with the life rock now. If what I have is up to the job I would rather spend those dollars on stock instead of building a new filter system.
    Any advise will be appreciated.

Currently in my sump:
    216 Bio Blocks
    1 Sander WT350 Power Skimmer feed by an AquaClear 802 power head.
    1 Sea Storm fluidized filter feed by another AquaClear 802 power head.
    1 Coralife Ozonizer Model #100 controlled by a Preis redox potential meter / controller

Rob

Robert

while it is not neccesary to have live rock in the sump[and most do not] it helps. Most have there live rock in the tank but you knew that. If you have the space then more live rock will add to the amount of bacteria and sponges and other filter feeders that will help clean your water and keep the Nitrates down. Bio balls don't even come close to the amount of good bacteria they can host compared to the porous live rock.Bio balls actually collect lots of crud and can increase Nitrates with most corals not liking this.Some even run a cryptic zone were they keep the liverock in the dark[in the sump] which lends itself to a whole new bunch of night creatures. The fluidized bed is also a thing of the past[I think]. 10 years ago you couldn't even keep a fraction of the corals and fish we now keep these days.

Robert,
    As Johnny said, LR in the sump is more for different types of filterers to grow un impeded. I have a whole section of my sump filled with the rock. What tends to grow in there are the mini FDusters, lots of sponges and similar tpyes of things that are all excellant filterers. it's best to set it up where the water actually flows throught the pile of rock instead of over it. It is usually done with no light on it either and is indeed called a cryptic zone.

This is good information

OK ... Soooo how many pounds of live rock should I be thinking about using in my sump to support what will in the end be a well stocked 100 gallon reef. Is the sump ALWAYS un-lit or should I think about a 1/2 and 1/2 set up? And when you say live rock are you referring to what we used to call live base rock? I think they grade it don't they? If so what grade would I be wanting to use. I'll start drawing this evening.
    thanks guys
    Rob

Ideally,

you would want 1.5 - 2 Pounds of live rock per gallon of water (Total water volume )

Alot of people, Myself included really like to have fish in my tank, Now to run a 100G tank like i do.. and stock it with 200 pounds of live rock.. Leave very little room for fish! ..

But.. Now you tak that 100g with 100 pounds of live rock in the tank.. and then add in a 60G sump and stock it with the skimmer and another 100 pounds of live rock .. then you are set!

As you now have the Biological filtration that you would need! and you have the space in your tank for your fish...

OK .... Now I already have about 125 pounds of what USED to be live rock. It is now just base rock because there is nothing to speak of alive on it anymore. Can this rock be re-seeded if mixed with another 100 pounds of fresh good quality live rock? If so that would be a bonus

Sure thing it can... If you add in another 100 pounds of liverock then with in 6 months all the rock will look the same if you are Maintaining correct levels..

Thats's what I was hoping to hear :-) Thanks Toooloud

Not a problem!