Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Floods

Floods

does it happens often for u guys ?

Luckily for me the worst floods are across the basement floor when filling a bucket with RO/DI water for my top off.

I've yet (knocking on wood) to have a spill or leak from my display tank or sump.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

i see! I was asking the question because right now, it cant happen where i am right now (renting) what u guys suggest me to do? do u think i could get a big filter to repalce the sump till i have my own place ?

Quote Originally Posted by NjOyRiD
    i see! I was asking the question because right now, it cant happen where i am right now (renting) what u guys suggest me to do? do u think i could get a big filter to repalce the sump till i have my own place ?
    be more specific to your type of setup, and what exactly you're fearing may leak.

i wanted a reef, but I'm scared the sump floods

There are two things you need to cover to be sure.

1) Anything automatically adding water to the tank. Auto top off is one, either kalk or pure water. To stave off floods, make sure your top off reserve is less than the spare room in your sump. Make sure you can power off the return pump and still have room. This can be done easily enough by simply having a small top off reserve.

2) Your drain must remain clear, or you need to automatically stop the return pump if the water rises too far in the display tank. A snail proof sensor in the display tied to your return pump can solve that. Talk to Tang_Man_Montreal. I believe he recently make one for pwall.

There nothing you can do to protect against a failed seam or shattered pane, except to buy a tank in good condition and not throw things a the tank. ;-)

When I came home from a recent vacation, my drain (OSD style) was getting plugged with hair algae and detritus. This caused the water level to rise enough to cause some salt creep down the one corner. Had this gone on much further, I might have experienced a "water on the floor" event. Regularly my OSD cap is cleaned about once a week.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

The next thing to consider is that you don't need a sump for a reef. Do you actually have one now? Have you been having floods?

There are a lot of benefits to having a sump: more water, more surface area, hidden equipment, etc.

But, there are costs: visible external plumbing, drilled tanks or syphon overflows, etc.

Pwall runs a little reef, 20 gallons, at work with no sump, and little equipment. I think it would be more difficult (though hardly impossible) to run a SPS reef in a small tank with little equipment. Softy corals usually do fine.

Hmm....floods.
    Never happens to me....I'm only on Number 4!
    The first three were all my fault...left the RO/DI on and it overflowed the container. I've since installed a top-off unit from tang_man to automate the top-off and refilling of the RO/DI top-off water. Haven't had a problem since.

The fourth....that wasn't my fault. The sea cucumber fell in the overflow and partially blocked it. The water went up over the top of the tank very quickly. Answer to that: dual overflows.

My tank at home is currently undergoing major renevations. Since shutting it down in early December, an additional overflow has been added. As cres mentioned, I know have a 'auto-shutoff' for the mainl pump so that in the event that the water level rises in the display tank or sump, it immediately shuts off the pumps. My current sump is in the shop to be drilled with an emergency overflow that will be connected to a drain so that if it fills for whatever reason, water goes down the drain and not on the floor.

I've rambled on long enough....I'll stop now.
    To summarize, think of all the possible situations that can happen, and then put something in place to prevent it. Don't say "nah, that won't happen".....
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

You should check your renters insurance policy to see if you are covered or can add a rider. I have just received the final bill/insurance sign-off for the somewhat minor flood that occurred in my basement in July 06, $10,743. That was to remove and replace the entire basement laminate wood floor. All that from about 12 gallons of salt water.
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

Liv will help me with my sump and Tank( i hope he read this haha)
    I did took extra insurance because at one time i had 14 tanks running, now 3. Everything is insure exept the content of the aquari7um (fish etc)

So my Sump will a 25g and my tank is a 65g! Waiting to save money so liv can drill the tank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast