Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Where are all my fish going... HELP!

Hi All,

My 65g tank is about 7 months old now. I have a few corals, a cleaner shrimp, a coral banded shrimp, a Common Clown and 3 Wrassels.

My problem is some thing is eating my fish. I have lost a Clown, a Cardnial, and 2 wrassels in the last 4 months and I have no trace of them.
    At first I thought is was my Coral banded shrimp but I started to feed him every second day a small piece of shrimp.

All the fish were heathy and all disappeard at night or in low lighting periods. I tryed after the lighting was out to set a large piece of shrimp near the glass to see if something would pop out but nothing. Th coral banded shrimp came and got the piece.

Any ideas?

SharkBait!

I had a similiar problem in my 20g....turned out to be a 'bad' crab.
    He's since moved on into another life.....
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

Unless I have a crab I have never seen, all of my crabs are way to small to grab a fish. The largest one I have is not even 2mm in diameter. Claws are about the width of an unsharpened pencil. Way too small. I would say.

Thanks I will watch out for bigger crabs.

SharkBait...

Hitchhikers on the rocks sometimes can be good, and sometimes bad.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

What kills the fish and what eats it, are often different things. Unless you have a carpet anemone you didn't mention. ;-)

Once dead or dying, your fish will be cleaned rather quickly by the crabs and snails in your tank, it is part of their job and they do it well.

The box crab pwall suffered was only 3/4" across and was nearly impossible to see, in fact seldom ever seen. Crabs are experts at hiding in rocks. Try making a crab trap (do a look up here or the the general net).

The other possibility is a parasite. This is harder to solve and might involve waiting it out with an empty tank for 6-8 weeks. If you suspect this is the cause, you can try remove the remaining fish and medicate them, while keeping the tank clear of fish for this period.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks for the info. The only anemone I have is a bubble, but it is only 3 weeks old and my Clown hangs out in him all night.

I will try the trap.

Thanks...

Ok I haven't updated in a while but I still have the same problem. I did find one crab "swimmer carb" by the looks of it. He was tiny but none the less he has passed on to a better life just to be sure.

I purchased 5 "test" fish and did loose one misteriously and the other died naturally. So I am at the point at which I would love to solve this issue before I drain my tank and start a rock garden. The thing is I don't have the experience to identify the issue whether it be parasites or a preditor.

Can anyone help me on this front? "Find the problem then solve it!"

Thanks

to make this a little easier can you post your tank / water params? and a little info about your set up. ( like whether you have a sump, fuge , skimmer, RO/DI, etc... etc... )

did you go right down to 0 fish, then add 5 more? because that could cause some problems with you biological filtration.

a picture would be helpful as well.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

liv
    I had a similar issue on my 130g a while back.
    found all my fish when I took the tank apart..they all jumped out and fell at the back of the tank.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

You could take a mason jar and put a meaty chunk in and tilt it so when the crab goes in, he stays there. But if your shrimp goes in, it'll stay too...

You can always stake it out at night with a flashlight and check out for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast