Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello and Qs.

Hello and Qs.

Hi, my name is Trevor
    Ummm, it's been 2 weeks since I ate my last fish...

Not sure how many of you caught that but anyways...

Just wanted to say hi and ask a few questions. I'm just getting started in SW aquariums, actually I haven't started yet, still reading. It's awesome to find a site based in my hometown.

Just a little history before I ask away. I'm 20, I study computer science at LaCiteCollegiale in Ottawa. I work for Environment Canada part-time as a tech dude and I help write training docs and such. I'm an avid snowboarder and have always been interested in growing plants. Then SW aquariums hit me, it's like growing plants but better! A whole balance system with different species seems too interesting to pass up.

Questions!
    - What the best stores to get LiveRocks, localy or internationaly, doesn't matter.
    - Are there and LFS that support SW in Ottawa?
    - Will a water heater suffice if I set up a tank in my basement that usually has temperature that hovers around 16C.
    - How much am I looking at for a basic 55g setup?
    - Anybody have any 55g tanks for sale?(Yes, I keep checking classifieds and such)

THANKS!!!

Hi and [welcome2]You fly too?
    I got it, was the sharks name Trevor??
    For LR, it would be cheaper to order online and Ijo ( Ivan) who is owner and admin of this site also has his onine store based from here ( afterall, the real reason this forum exists) can get you good rock for way cheaper than any LFS can.
    Fromwhat I hear there is basically 2 stores This place (Aquaria Canada) and Marinescape that exist in Ottawa..., well technically this place is in Hull but the advantage is that it will get shipped right to your door, or I thni ( you'll have to check with Ivan on this) you can pick up from Ivan to if you arrange so with him. As to the heater, usually if you get a heater that has 3 watts per gallon of your system it would be good. You have to remember to add in all sumps, and other equiptment for the total volume of your system.
    As for the cost, the skies the limit depending on how much you want to have. This hobby can become very gadget oriented if you want.
    I don't have a 55 gal for sale but soon will have a 125 gal!!! ( just in case afterall, this is 1 hobby where bigger is better..., literally).

Hehe, no I don't fly, but my original carrer path was going to be a fighter pilot, but my vision is 18/20 and laser surgery wasn't acceptable at the time of enrollement.
    And my real name is Trevor, I can't remember the sharks names but you got it .

I really don't have place for a 125g tank, and I'll be moving out in about 8 months, so I want to keep it small enought until I settle down.

Thanks for all your answers. I'm surfing the net for as many documents as possible.

Could you clarify what a sump is for?

Welcome!!!!

Hi, my name is Trevor
    Ummm, it's been 2 weeks since I ate my last fish...

Not sure how many of you caught that but anyways...
    Very very excellent movie!

What the best stores to get LiveRocks, localy or internationaly, doesn't matter.
    Many great deals both online and through local retailers.. Personally i like to hand pick my rock.. to get the aquascaping the way i want!

- How much am I looking at for a basic 55g setup?
    The inital setups are the worst.. But once they are up they are great!

Looking at :

$200 tank
    $500 Live rock
    $50 sand
    $100 Powhead and heater
    $200 Lights
    $300 Skimmer

Now its cheaper if you do some DIY stuff.. Or buy used! .

I'm still reading away... But something nobody has mentioned yet, is how you add salinity to your water...

salt mix...

Just mix your salt with the RO/Di water... once your water is mixed and in the tank.. you just add Topup water to maintain your water levels..

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but if you are going to move in 8 months, I wouldn't set up a 55 gallon tank now.

However, while I wouldn't normally recommend such a small tank for a beginner, if you must set something up now, maybe take a look at those new 12 gallon, curved glass nano tanks that have just come out.

Thanks Toooloud.

Zookeeper, if I move in 8 months, the tank will stay in my home and my pops will enjoy taking care of it. So no worries there.

pilot

does your dad know this! I'm telling ya Marine tanks are a lot more demanding than a freshy and there is alot of knowledge involved. Tons of things can go wrong and need to be looked at. Not impossible but ya might as well keep reading,studying and buys some good reefing books. Wait till ya move.trust me!!!! Although small tanks can be nice Its my feeling you have to be really on the ball to keep these and larger tanks are more stable. 55g minimum.

Yah, I have no worries for my dad, he's always up for a new challenge. Isn't a smaller tank like a 33g much harder to keep stable though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast