Thread: Spaflex sizing

Question Spaflex sizing

I thought I was making my last plumbing purchases yesterday when I stopped at PVC Plus and Club Piscine to get all the fittings and Spaflex that I was missing. As a precaution, I took some of my fittings inside when getting the spaflex.

My problem is that 1.5" spaflex doesn't work with 1.5" PVC fittings. The same goes for 3/4".

Before I go back to PVC Plus to replace some of my fittings, could someone tell me if there's something special about the sizing for spaflex?
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)
    Coming Soon - 120g with more stuff

ijo
    The spaflex should fit... it may be tight but a little PVC glue on both pieces fixes this problem.

IJO

To make it easier to put the spaflex on the PCV fitting, heat up the end of the spaflex is hot water. It will soften a little and will go on much easier.
    Once it's on, it won't come off. Of-course, some glue should be used anyways.

To get the water hot enough, I used the electric kettle (the top comes off the kettle that I have) and when the water was boiling, I put the end of the spaflex in the water.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

My previous post assumes that the connections are a barb fitting.
    Regards,
    Patrick.
    Ottawa (Orleans), Ontario
    Yahoo IM: pwallnfld

ijo
    My previous post assumes that the connections are a slip fitting. (hehe)

Thanks guys. I'll try a bit of both - slip and barb fittings.

I'll bring some sample tubes over to PVC Plus when I go tomorrow because you know that there's always something you forgot to get :loser:
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)

Remember, SpaFlex is designed to replace solid pipes of the same specified OD.

Ideally, you should use a primer and glue designed for Flex piping. You can get away with normal PVC glue where the plumbing is well supported and never flexes in use.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

I was wondering if there was a secret society trying to confuse me by switching between ID or OD for pipe sizes.
    29g - with stuff ;-)