Groupie02's 65g inwall (lots of pictures)

Since last December, I've been reading a lot here and on RC. I've read a couple of books about reef keeping. I've given a couple of my paychecks to Ivan, Big Al's (both stores), MS, PVP Plus, Rona, Home Depot and Club Piscine. I've attended MASO 17, met some of you, got more info.

Finally, I have water in my 65g. Here are a few pictures of my setup.

In the beginning, there was a fridge... That was before we moved into our new house.

I took some of the drywall off and built my stand. I recycled an old desk for the top and shelf.

Added new drywall to hide the stand.

This is the view from the furnace room.

You may remember this sketch...

here's the real life version. Some of the holes moved a little bit but I pretty much drilled them as planned.

A lot of plumbing work later... the back looks like this. :biggrinbo

Time for a leak test. It's great to have a laundry tub nearby. It only took a couple of minutes to fill the tank. Let everything run for about an hour and couldn't detect any leaks. I noticed way to late that my great sketch would lead to a nice flood in case of a power outage. This became clear as I filled my tank. There's now an emergency overflow from the sump to a Rubbermaid container. I've also added a check valve to my sump return line. Draining was also quick and easy... thanks to gravity.

Added a little less than 40lbs of CaribSea Aragonite and started my RODI. Not the best way to do it but I just needed a little bit more water (my LR had been soaking in 2 Brute trash cans for a long time already).

Added a couple of small bags of CaribSea Live Sand that I had then transfered my water and 80lbs of cured live rock.
    Nice sand storm don't you think (I forgot to rinse my aragonite).

Here's a similar view but with the lights on. BTW, I got a 4x36" T5 kit from Ivan (2xactinics + 2x10K).

I ran my tank like this (but without the lights) for a couple of days. I discovered two small leaks where my fittings screwed into my bulkhead. Emptied the tank back into Brutes and another Rubbermaid container. Fixed the leaks with Teflon tape.

While the water was out, I took a couple of extra minutes to do some basic aquascaping. Here's what it looks like now.

Still to do, cut the slots in my ABS reducers for my overflows and put up baffles in the sump as I have tons of micro bubbles. :bawling:
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)
    Coming Soon - 120g with more stuff

Very well done indeed. Based upon my experience with my in-wall, I would recommend some kind of inside moulding or the like that would prevent splashed water from dripping down the front of your drywall. Happens occasionally at feeding time and if I don't notice it right away the saltwater leaves unsightly marks behind.

very nice, what's that 9 holes in a 65 mfg2:

i like the looks of this
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Thanks. I know that 9 holes looks like a lot but I don't have a lot of space over the tank.
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)

thats a serious closed loop system. nice
    45 Gallon
    x2 96WPC Lights, x2 9W over CPR fuge, x1 36W T5 Actinic
    Remora C skimmer, Ehiem Cannister
    Solon Wrasse,Yellow Tang, Clarkii Clown, Blue Neon Goby, Mandarin
    Assorted Zoo's,Shrooms,Rics, LPS

Can you identify these

I have a few rocks with little "things" growing. They are greenish-brown and look like little sprouts. I'm not sure what they are. Can you tell from my bad picture?

It's pretty funny how one notices every little change when there isn't much in the tank.

Well, I did add a dozen blue legs and an emerald crab but they have lots of room to hide from me. I've only seen my emerald twice in 4 days - 5 minutes when I put him in and for about 1 minute earlier today :wink5:

Cheers,
    Pierre
    29g - with stuff ;-)