Rena Filstar is it good? cause the seaclone sucks.

I started a 40g saltwater tank. My first. I read on this site about everything I could.

Bought a seaclone for 150 CI (read 180US). It's been a week and a half and the damn thing won't produce ANY bubbles in that cup. I get gunk on the sides going up to the cup, but that is it.
    I know I have a bio load. My ammonia sits at 4ppm. (nitrite and nitrate are at 0) I am still waiting for my tank to cycle (it's 3 weeks old).
    I have one goby. LOTS of crabs (can't count cause baby's are also in there) I got the live rock out of the ocean and it happened to have a free coral and lots of crabs. The coral died. But the crabs are flourishing (they love fish pellets).

I use another filtration system called the penguin trickle filter.

I want to get this rena filstar. Is it any good. I have lost faith in protien skimmers due to this sea clone. I was thinking about dropping 250US for a remora c skimmer.
    But if the filstar can foot the bill, I would rather get that.

What do you fish pro's think?

PS. what is the max fish I should have in my tank of 40g, live sand, live rock.
    And how long is this tank going to take to cycle *sigh

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    I started a 40g saltwater tank. My first. I read on this site about everything I could.
    That's a good start

Bought a seaclone for 150 CI (read 180US).
    I have never used a seaclone but from my reading they sit in a class with the prism skimmers. There are some mods to make them work better I beleive but I would consider looking for a better model all togehter

My ammonia sits at 4ppm. (nitrite and nitrate are at 0) I am still waiting for my tank to cycle (it's 3 weeks old).
    I have one goby.
    If you have any detectable ammonia and the goby is still alive it should be removed to a stable tank ASAP. Amonia is extremly hard on fish and actuall burns their gills. Are you using new, quality test kits? Have you had someone else or different test kit verify the results?

LOTS of crabs (can't count cause baby's are also in there) I got the live rock out of the ocean and it happened to have a free coral and lots of crabs. The coral died. But the crabs are flourishing (they love fish pellets).
    When you say you got the rock out of the ocean...which ocean? Most hitchiker crabs are bad and I would personally remove them. If you got it from canadian waters are you trying to run a cold water reef?

I want to get this rena filstar. Is it any good. I have lost faith in protien skimmers due to this sea clone. I was thinking about dropping 250US for a remora c skimmer.
    Stay away from all canister filters. You will find that in the saltwater hobby they are basically consider very expensive powerheads and are not normally used any longer. Spend the money on a good skimmer and quality live rock and you will be much better off.

PS. what is the max fish I should have in my tank of 40g, live sand, live rock.
    And how long is this tank going to take to cycle *sigh
    This is a difficult question and will depend on the quality of skimmer, the presence of a sump/fuge or not, the quantity of liverock and then the type of fish.

Sorry for adding to the confusion but the more information we get at the start the more help everyone can provide and the happier you will be with your system for the years ahead.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Well my seaclone is this close to being garbage clone.

I live in the caymans, so the live rock I got was salt water rock. The crabs, not sure. I am pretty sure i got 2 juvinile emerald crabs. There are a few that look like rocks. a few that look like sandish, and one that is jet black (he's VERY small, like O <- that small)

The ammonia is tested on a daily basis with a very good tester. the water bottle drip kind with a test tube. I forget the name of the company. But they also do tests for nitrate and ph. I have tested all those, and 0 nitrates, ph is 8.2.
    Goby has been living in the tank for almost a month now with ammonia spikes. I have been doing daily water changes. I think the dead coral made the ammonia spike. But the ammonia is neither going up or down. Which is cool in my books. Once that nitrate kicks in, that should be taken care of. gobys a tank cycling fish 8)

And you say "hitchhiker crabs are bad" ..why?

I agree they are VERY agressive. I have noticed the rocky looking crabs are more agressive than the sandy ones. And the green crabs are on pot.

I have 50 pounds of live sand. About 25 pounds of live rock (im getting more this weekend) since it's free :bigblink:
    And I was wondering how many fish it could hold.

PS, unless it's live rock from the ocean, i CANNOT bring live rock into cayman island. I can't even get some imported fish. Cause the government here doens't want those species introduced into the water.

So I am stuck wading out into 3 feet water and trying to find the most porus rock I can. I know the rock is contantly submerged so I figure it must be "live" rock. The one rock had a coral growing on it. So that is my basis for live rock.
    Because the government once again makes it illegal to dive or snorkel for live rock. It must be "beach" rock. Which i assume means wading water only.

I am limited, but i want corals and stuff.

I live in the caymans, so the live rock I got was salt water rock.
    Well then, have you got an extra room (Your userid still lists Ottawa btw)

Goby has been living in the tank for almost a month now with ammonia spikes. I have been doing daily water changes.
    The goby living for a month would make me question that amonia is actually present. Also, I would stop the daily water changes, leave the system alone for the next month and let the cycle occur. The water changes will keep parameters from stabalizing and will prolong the cycle.

Are you using NSW? If so it is best collect a distance from shore and below the surface to minimize the run off and stuff close to shore.

And you say "hitchhiker crabs are bad" ..why? .
    For those of us who have to buy our livestock (I am so jeallous) the crabs that hitchhike are fish eating, nocturnal crabs. They lie in wait until the fish are sleeping in there spots and then attack.

If you are collecting livestock from beaches/reefs in your area it may not be the same concern if a fish gets eaten, since you can catch another the next day.

I agree they are VERY agressive. I have noticed the rocky looking crabs are more agressive than the sandy ones. And the green crabs are on pot.

I have 50 pounds of live sand. About 25 pounds of live rock (im getting more this weekend) since it's free :bigblink:.
    I am going to have to demand pictures (its only fair).

IPS, unless it's live rock from the ocean, i CANNOT bring live rock into cayman island. I can't even get some imported fish. Cause the government here doens't want those species introduced into the water.
    I could handle looking for rock in 3' of tropical water. The last rock I got came from the back room of store with a awful smell of dyeoff from the rock.

I personally would try to stick to local fish, inverts, and corals that you can catch from the waters. Assuming you use NSW for your water changes and catch fish locally, you can keep juvenille fish that normally would outgrow your system and release them once they are two large.

It's still difficult to say that you can keep x # of fish in your tank. Normally in a system you size something like a dwarf angel (flame,coral beauty), a couple of clowns, and maybe a goby type fish or two would be lots. It also depends on the fish and their needs.

What kind of fish are available in the camayn waters?
    Rob
    -----

Well ya, sorry about the mixup where I live.

I actually buy the fish from teh LFS. But I think if I go snorkeling this week, I might grab a sea urchin or two off the rocks. Bring em home. See how they do. If they die, oh well.

Well maybe I should get another test kit. the thing is. when I tested for nitrate, ph and ammonia. there was all 0's the first 3 days. *all using the same kits I am using now

THen put in a clown, coral beauty angel, box fish and 6 blue chromis and a goby. Quickly found out. BIO OVERLOAD> So I threw the Clown, box fish, the coral beauty and all of the chromis in teh ocean (bye bye 150 dollars!)

So now I only have the yellow Goby. I have seen the crabs try to grab one of the chromis. but I thought that is what crabs do. I guess i am going to get rid of the rock looking crabs. Starting tonight. (although they are the only think in my tank right now I can sit and watch)
    I will keep teh two green crabs (which I think are emeralds) and the sandy crabs who seem pretty easy going. for now.

I use normal bottle water with ocean sea salt. Tried real ocean sea water and filling it in one of those 5gal fresh water bottles. Forgetabout it. I was bobbing around like a buoy trying to fill it up in the waves.

I will stop the daily water changes though. That might be why my darn tank is taking so long to cycle.
    I might even go buy a backpack and start going out to the reefs to take a looksy at any lose live rock. I just read beach rock is more dense and takes longer to cycle.

There are too many fish to name, that are available in the caymans. Best diving in the world here. (although I don't dive)

But i will stick to buying the fish. But anything else I will catch. I will let everyone know how the wild sea urchins turn out (the black spiked kind). i think I will get baby ones so they think the tank is bigger 8)

THen put in a clown, coral beauty angel, box fish and 6 blue chromis and a goby. Quickly found out. BIO OVERLOAD> So I threw the Clown, box fish, the coral beauty and all of the chromis in teh ocean (bye bye 150 dollars!)

Unless the rocks/water/salt and fish all came from the local waters you should never release a fish back into the wild. Non native species can detriment a local eco system (the reason the goverment doesn't want rock brought in) or introduce diseases.

As you found with adding all the fish at once, your bioload will spike and your tank will crash. Add your fish slowly, allow the system to stabalize and take your time and things will work much better.
    Rob
    -----

Thanks for the info. I am going to go slowly. After losing 150 worth of fish. I am not going to make that mistake again.