I have 1 15w 11,000k light for my reef aq.

And I got another 15w dual day actinic light (they are both 18inch) They are from quantum leap.

I have a 40gal, square. So it's tall, not alot of sea floor space.

I want to grow coral.

Is that enough light? Cause electricity here on cayman is EXPENSIVE. I am talking 78cents a kilowatt hour. (where as in canada you guys MIGHT be paying a whole 3 to 6 cents for a kilowatt hour)

So to go MH..nu uh. Do not want a house mortgage for an electricity bill.

I was thinking "low light corals". Am I being realistic here, or dreaming?

or could I grow any kind of corals at all?

I took aluminum foil and put it behind the lights. So to act as a refractor.
    I would buy real refractors but the LFS doens't have them. I know...ghetto setup LOL.

So my question is....can I grow corals with that setup?

Any info would be helpful.

if you try any corals keep them as close to the light as possible but i'f I was a betting man I'd say no. well maybe some zoos or something
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

That was sorta my plan. Use the brown LR as a base. And put the better rock VERY close to the light. Half a foot or less
    Well I went and got some awesome live rock from my super secret live rock place (beleive it or not, it's not as easy to find live rock on a tropical island as you might think)

It came with 3 types of corals I think. One looks like a small bush. one looks like a booger. It's all chunky and yellow. And I got these long stringy things that look like long hairs. Waving in the wind. the crabs love that stuff. they are eating and looking at me as if to ask "got any ranch with this stuff?"

Went just now to smith cove and got a sea urchin. He's now nestled inbetween two rocks. he seems happy.

Long weekend here on the island, so tomorrow I might go get another one or two peices of LR and another urchin.

Thanks for the info.

man we got to see some pics of this place. it's not like us folks in canada are goin to come and find it. WE NEEDS PICS!!!!!PIC I SAY PICS!!!
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Alright, here is a pic of smith cove.

Between where that guy is standing up and the guy with the white hat sitting down. AWESOME place to nab sea urchins (black spined kind)
    Got a 1 inch and a half urchin from there today.

My secret rock spot I got no pictures, but it does have a plaque commemorating the defeat of pirates at that spot back in 1700's. It's a very shallow bay.

I can take a pic of my tank, but it's like a month old (so in otherwords..compared to most peoples tanks here, it's laughable) . and oh ya WOOOOOOOT. my tank finally cycled. In the last 2 days. No more ammonia....at all!
    and i got 10pmm nitrates...WHOOO HOOO.

I also found another type of coral on the underside of one of my LR. It's wierd looking. Got a fan on it, that opens and closes. At first I thought it was the wave maker making it open and close, but I have been watching it for hours and it's definetly opening and closing on its own. looks like it's trying to catch particles in the water or something.

Anyways...ya, love this hobby now. TV..what the hell is that? I certainly don't watch that anymore.