Question to raise calcium with oysters

Okay, this is the scoop. I live on an island that has NO products that will help me raise calcium (at my LFS).
    I did some research and found out that if I crush oyster shells I can increase calcium in my tank (i have no idea how many PPM of calcium I have cause the ONLY LFS on the island has no testers)
    And the LFS has no alk products or testers either.

I did find a copper test and my copper in my tank is .01ppm (lowest on the scale, there was no 0 on the testing scale)

So i want to throw in some corals. But on the live rock I brought home last week, the smallish corals (3 of em) have all died.
    Only one feather duster has thrived so far.

My coraline is going from bright purple to very light purple (from the live rock I brought home last week, it already had a good build up of coraline)

So..i figure it's my calcium. (or so I guess)

could anyone help me with some advice on how much oyster shells I will need, or if there is any other way to increase calcium?

I bought this PH8.2 powder to raise the PH in the tank, and it's a steady 8.2.

I put one crushed oyster in the tank and the PH is still 8.2 (does this mean there is little calcium being extracted from that oyster?)

sorry for the rant, please help. cuase I am going snorkeling for some coral this weekend and I dont' want them to die.

I wouldn't expect you to be able to get "bio available" calcium from Oyster shells. I'm sure there is a chemistry based explanation better than this "it has been bound into a stable form by the animal". Same too with the live rock itself. It has a lot of calcium too (literal pounds of it). But, while it can act to help stabilize the PH it won't add calcium (in usable form) to the water.

Also, with the crushed oyster shells we can get (at a farm supply for chicken feed), it can bring with it unwanted pollutants. This may not be an issue if you get your shells right from the sea.

If you live that close to the ocean, I presume you are using Natural Sea Water (NSW) for your water and water changes? True?

If so, you likely have a calcium level around 320 PPM. As long as you keep changing water, it will stay there and most critters will be happy. If you nearly plug your tank with stoney coral and want good/crazy growth, you'll need your calcium higher.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Regardless, you need to test for Calcium first be4 u start doing anything if u do suspect it's low. Not a good idea to just blindfully messing with it. If nothing in LFS, order online.

Also, especially since u may have some copper, that can be the real problem. For a little low in calcium, I kinda dun think that's bad enough to cause 3 corals death in a week.
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

well the copper is non exsistant. the copper meter had .01 as the LOWEST setting (then there is .05, .1, .25 ect). So in other words. I would assume they figure .01 ppm is 0 ppm
    And that's what my water read. .01 ppm

So I honestly don't think it's copper.

My water is 0 ammonia, 10 nitrate (steady, NEVER fluctuates). I figure it has to be either alk or calcium.

I can't order online cause we have PO boxes here (no friggin mail men here). So most places won't even ship here. (ebay is pretty much out of the question for example). If you have never lived on an island, you won't understand how farking stranded you are from the real world. I used to live in Canada and this island feels sometimes like your living on the moon. SO unless the LFS guy orders it, (he has a supplier from miami which ships his product by boat to here). then there is no way to really get anything from the mainland.

Oh well.....I will get a couple of corals or anomoneas (whatever i find tomorrow) and see how it goes.
    I hate having things die. ALmost had 180 US dollars worth of fish die. My concience couldn't handle it and I ended up throwing them in the sea before they died.
    So I bet anything they are alive and well, and living in the ocean now.
    LOL

Could you ask your LFS to order you some test kits?

or so u know someone off the island that u can have stuffs shipped to for u to pickup instead?
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.

Ya, i guess I will just have to order calcium supliments and testers from my LFS.

I hate waiting for stuff they should already have.