Thread: Rockscaping

Rockscaping

Hey,
    I put my LR in my new 90 and when I stepped down and looked at it I wasn't happy. Looks to me like it is packed to tight, not many places to hide.

How do you do a rockscape that allows flow and fish but that is also sturdy and visually pleasing? Also, scratches aside is it a good idea to allow the rock to lean on the back of the tank?

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Hey,
    I put my LR in my new 90 and when I stepped down and looked at it I wasn't happy. Looks to me like it is packed to tight, not many places to hide.

How do you do a rockscape that allows flow and fish but that is also sturdy and visually pleasing? Also, scratches aside is it a good idea to allow the rock to lean on the back of the tank?

Dean
    you just need to play with it and try different things. you have some time to kill while the tank cycles anyway, so just take your time. it is a lot easier to move it now than after you have fish and corals.

how much rock do you have? can you post a pic?

and ....

To Aquaria Canada
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

ijo
    Many lean the rock on the back of the tank(myself included). Some of the larger tank owners can get away from this but many of us are pressed for space and leanding it gives us an extra 3-4 inches of depth.

As for creating spaces... it all depends on the rock you have... long pieces make great bridges and overhangs. If you have mostly small round pieces... you will have a hard time creating tunnels for your fish to swim through.

IJO

on another note, if you plan on keeping the glass clean and clear near the rocks, make sure you leave enough room for your magnet to get by. And it's actually a good idea to help use the back glass as a way to keep your rocks sturdy. Whatever you do, make sure you're confident you won't get a rock slide happen that could crack your tank. expecially with the rocks located higher.

Thanks everyone for your pointers. I rearranged all the rock again today and think I am pleased. That said I am starting to realize that you are never really pleased and that you keep moving stuff around.
    Answer some questions:

a4Twenty - It's a 90 gal tank w/ 200lbs +- LR w/ Prism Skimmer w/ Fluvo 404 w/ Aquaclear 500. I am in the process of converting an old 30 gal into a Sump to eliminate the need for Aqua clear 500 and FLuvo 404.

IJO - The peices of rock are fairly large and very nice (big peices and very light, meaning very pooris). The ratio of big to small is about 70% big to 30% small. I made it so there is lots of flow behind the rocks but still leaning on glass and very sturdy. I took my time and tried to have them fit together like a puzzle.

a4Twenty - I forgot, time is limitted cuz there was 4 fish with the purchase and they are now scatered around my basement. Tank isn't going to cycle I don't think. I kept the rock in rubbermaid with SW and PWR Head, I checked my Amonia after tank and rock together for 24 hour and level was at 0.2 which I guess is good since the scale is 0.0 to 0.8. I am going to throw my Damsels in tomorow morning (Sunday), if they are still swimming when I get out of bed around 2pm I will take it as a good sign.
    Any pointers on reintroducing the other fish I have back to the 90 Bicolour-Angel, Domino Damsel, BLue Tang and Marine Betta?
    Thanks
    Dean

Pic

Here is a pic of the tank now. Hope it works.

picture

Just a suggestion........IMO.....
    I think you might have too much rock in your tank,thus preventing
    flow from most angles.......especially the back
    you'll find that having too much rock creates dead spots which can
    be a nighmare for cleaning, also creates algae such as Cyano,also keep in mind
    uneaten fishfood and waste will be a negative impact in your system......
    you might want to make more room to get flow all throughout you tank.
    IMO.:Band:

looking good
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery