thinking outside of the tank

Where would one go to get a calcium suppliment on an island. Grocery store? Hardware store? ect ect.

I need to start a "kalkwasser" type add in for my top up water to supply my tank with needed calcium.

Oysters don;t' work for shat. So I am on to trying any other darn ideas, that any of you can think of.

I want corals in my tank and there is no way I am going to get em, without calcium.

Buy lime at a construction site?
    Please help...............................

are you using NSW?

and how often do / can you do water changes?
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Can you not order online and have stuff shipped over to this island? or is it threw the roof expensive?

Smile

andy, you do not need a reactor, nor do you even need to drip kalk on your tank.
    do water changes and thats it. your tank is basically setup for a softy tank
    [shrooms.zoanthis. leathers] and thats about it
    reactors are for SPS dominated tanks.

Frequent NSW based water changes should keep your parameters spot on.

If you really want to add a supplement, get a Kalk powder shipped to you somehow. Then you simply stir some power in with pure water (whatever you are using for topoffs) and either drip that into your tank or use it for topoff water.

Remember to follow the cardinal rule: If you add something, make sure you are measuring it to ensure you add enough and not too much.

For Kalk, this means checking your Alkalinity and Calcium levels. It is always a good idea, and a better idea when adding Kalk, to keep an eye on PH as well.

You could add a Kalk reactor, a Calcium reactor, and fancy timed peristoltic pump to add Calcium, but, the cost of the equipment and maintenance to an island is likely quite high.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. Shipping can be done, but alot of places wont ship to a country with a PO box. (we dont' have mailmen here)

Thanks for the info John. Preciate it.

Cres the top off idea is what I was thinking.

I don't really do water changes
    With or without salt water, cause my nitrates never go past 20ppm. Ever.

But I do top up my water almost every day (evaporation here is a crazy)

Thanks for all the help guys!

Where are you located? Just curious.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by rentyn79 View Post
    Where are you located? Just curious.
    Mike
    Cayman island is where I live.

2frosty4u
    I'm assuming that they would have Pool shops on the island. Call them and see if they have "All-Clear". It's repackaged Dow Flake (Calcium Chloride)which many people use too make the calcium supplement in a two part dosing setup. Mix 2 1/2 cups With RODI water to end up with 1 gallon of solution and add 1ml per gallon of your total system volume daily. Some slight measurement adjustment may be required depending on calcium requirements of your corals, but this where you start.
    I wanted to post a site for more info for you but since the hack attack I lost my post rating and cant post url's till I hit 50 again, Sorry.
    do a search for "reef alchemy by Randy Holmes-Farley" on reefkeeping.com.
    Randy is the hobbies leading edge chemist who designed this homemade two part dosing recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by 2frosty4u View Post
    I'm assuming that they would have Pool shops on the island. Call them and see if they have "All-Clear". It's repackaged Dow Flake (Calcium Chloride)which many people use too make the calcium supplement in a two part dosing setup. Mix 2 1/2 cups With RODI water to end up with 1 gallon of solution and add 1ml per gallon of your total system volume daily. Some slight measurement adjustment may be required depending on calcium requirements of your corals, but this where you start.
    I wanted to post a site for more info for you but since the hack attack I lost my post rating and cant post url's till I hit 50 again, Sorry.
    do a search for "reef alchemy by Randy Holmes-Farley" on reefkeeping.com.
    Randy is the hobbies leading edge chemist who designed this homemade two part dosing recipe.
    You sir, are CORRECT. I only stumbled on this Gem today. Pool place does have LOTS of calcium chloride brands. So I chose a 100% calcium Chloride brand. (not dowflake) and voila, mixed it up and gave it cup of water from the 1 gallon I mixed. (i only mixed 1 cup of calcium chloride)

Thanks for the suggestion though, you were right on the money.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,