For all you eagle eyed aquarists..what are these?!

Wierd balls that are all over the ocean floor where I snorkel. (caribbean)

This wormy thing, looks like a catipillar. Sea catipillar perhaps? IT's got no eyes that I can see anyways.

and finally, this thing just showed up on the underside of the rock the other day. It waves in the current and doens't seem to do anything. I have no idea what the heck these things are. Does anyone know. I have tried google.
    I guess this is what happens when you grab conks from the ocean floor. You get all kinds of stuff from them.

The second picture looks like a gross bristleworm.

Are bristle worms bad? and if they are, why are they bad?

It's not just any bristleworm. It's a fire worm.

With your guys help I found the answer to the fireworm, and darn , I guess i gotta get the two I got in there, outta there.

Thanks for the heads up. I really appreciate it.

Can anyone else tell me about the other two things. The top ball thing is hard, and its fuzzy. I thought it was a brain coral, but now I don't think so. they are all over the ocean floor. They look "live" but who knows.

The last thing (looks like a drape that waves in the current) just showed up 2 days ago, under the rock. Now that I know that I have bristle worms, I hope that's not bristle worm eggs or some thing like that.

Can you get sharper images of the 1st and 3rd items?

You are experiencing the joys of collecting directly from the ocean. You can pick up things that do not show up in the hobby or hitchhickers that would normally die during shipping.

As for your worm, Fireworms are not desirable but standard bristleworms are harmless and beneficial until they grow much larger. If you are taking out a fireworm use tweezers and not your fingers or you will find why they are called fireworms.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Whether bristleworms are good or bad is a whole other topic on its own. Many find them to be good scavengers at picking up leftover detritis, while other find they can be too destructive. It's really depends on what that worm is up to in your particular tank. I find them too creepy to ever want to keep one

ijo
    The first pic looks like a favia/favites brain... the 3 looks to be a sack of dead/dying something.. it could also be some type of egg sack. in anycase... I would get rid of 2 and 3 and keep number 1.

IJO

unfortunately, that's as steady as I can hold my camera. If you click on the images they enlarge.

Thanks Ijo. I was wondering what it was, it's quite Heavy for a rock. and it is fuzzy. So I thought it had to be somethign living, it stands out against the sea floor very easily.

Ya it's fun every weekend (i am excited about the weekends now) cause every week, i go pick a spot, and snorkel with a buddy. *he saw my tank and that very day, went out and picked up a hex 40 gallon* LOL.

So we snorkel together and look for "treasures". Basically it ends up, we bring stuff up from the ocean, we ohhh and ahh, and sometimes go "WTF" is that. Both shrug our shoulders and say.."keepers'. And place whatever into our big platic bin.

I want to get about 5 more very encrusted holey conks. They are encrusted with dusters and coraline and all kinds of other neato stuff. 5 more should fill my tank and help with ammonia and nitrate as they have benefical green plants on them and stuff. They also make GREAT hiding spots for fish since they are very holey. I also assume they must put calcium back into the tank as that is what they are comprised of. They are very porous if you look closely, like fine bottom of the pizza type holes on the conk surface.

Like this one

Little too bright, but look at all the colors.

Here is the holes and things

Can you see the pores and holes for smaller fish.

And lastly, a different angle.

So I think if I put about 5 more in my tank. Even placing one mouth up, so it can be used as a nest for my mating percs (tank raised)

what do you guys think? would you use conks like these to populate your tank?