Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got an idea for moonlights HO HO HO

Anyone think of using those little christmas tree lights for moonlights. The blue ones?

I was thinking about this the other day.

Has anyone else attempted this and what does it look like?
    And is that type of light bad for anything in your tank?

I have to wonder how they would react to salt water (salt creep that is). I guess that the blue LED ones could be OK but I'd feel more comfortable having them protected from the salt.

I've actually gone with a single moontube from Fishbowl Innovations. I found the price and results pretty good.
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)
    Coming Soon - 120g with more stuff

How long do you keep the moonlights on ?

I don't have any fancy controller, just a $5 IKEA timer. I have the moonlights come on before my T5s go out, run for about 3-4 hours (until I know I'll be in bed). I run them mostly just to see something other than dark water after lights out. One day I may actually see what others are doing with theirs, like you're doing now.
    65g - 80lbs LR - 4x36" 39W T5 HOs (2x10000K,2xActinics) - CSS125 - 25g sump - Mag 7 return - Blueline SD-1100 Closed Loop with OM Squirt * 2x Amphiprion ocellaris - 1x Paracanthurus hepatus - 1x Zebrasoma flavescens
    29g - with stuff ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    Anyone think of using those little christmas tree lights for moonlights. The blue ones?

Most of the christmas LED lights are actually white led's with colored covers over them. They will still give you moonlight but your corals will not have the flourescent. To get the best 'glow' you need blue leds that are 460-470nm in color (attinic range).
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Yes, but people either aren't aware, or have never lived on an island. Imagine living on the moon.
    The availability of ANYTHING is a long saturday going to 10 (and this isn't an exageration) stores. To find anything. There are no malls here.

So radio shack and things like that. Forgetaboutit.

I have to specially order calcium chloride for pete's sakes. Which takes 3 weeks here, and the only reason I can get it, is the chemical store has a supplier that has it.

If not, most companies won't ship to a place with only PO box's.

So, although most people's intentions are good in this forum. Saying "just go get this or that". It's not that easy.

This I guess is the penalty for living in the tropics. Sure, I get all my tank animals and rocks for free. But all the little things are impossible to come by, I either take 3 weeks to find them, or not at all.
    Where as you guys have to pay for your tank animals, but get the little things that you all take for granted way easier.

I went to two stores last saturday looking for any kind of blue light, nada.
    Guess I will keep looking (closest I found was a black light)
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

hey that black light could be really cool! I don't know what effect it would have on the fish but I'd like to see that
    29g - with stuff ;-)

OK, I know you have next to nothing on the island... but can you get computer parts? Some of those funky blue leds are sold for computer mods. You could be lucky with that.

Now that I think of it, you can get your hands on XMas lights?!?
    29g - with stuff ;-)

I tried using Christmas lights once. I had a 14.5 VAC adaptor and calculated that meant using 6 (I think) LEDs from the string (all blue). They started going out, a week for the first one, 3 days for the second, in the end they all died within two weeks. Could be my assumptions were wrong and they were not all wired in series (though there wasn't enough wires to do other). Could also be that the 14.5 VAC supply was pushing 20 VAC or something. I didn't go back to figure it out.

The quality of light was okay while it lasted.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

The LEDs I got came from a seller in HongKong through Ebay. They were just in a padded envelop so I am sure they would be willing to ship to a PO Box.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast