crazy idea here about power heads and wavemakers and a DIY attitude

I got this idea last night about using a power head, and convert it into a rotating wavemaker.

Get a rotating table fan. Pull the table fan apart, so you have just the motor and the rotator.

Attach the power head to the motor of the table fan, and place the power head back into the tank.

I figure, as the table fan's motor rotates the fan motor. The power head attached to the fan motor will rotate as well, making the power head move in a 90 degree motion.

You can eliminate about half your power heads this way. As it will blow in the mulitple directions you need.

Any thoughts or piggy backed ideas on this one?
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

I believe they all ready have something like that out. I have seen it on this web site. Very expensive though. But a good thought but it would be big and bulky.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

wavy sea i think is the brand that makes the really nice looking ones... but expensive

DIY = do it yourself
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

hey guys want something really cool to make a motion wave into your tank , well not that really inexpensive but im sure you can afford it , just throw a couple of bucks out of your wallet "KORALIA" any of you have seen this newest powerhead at marine scape or big al's. I gotta 2 of those new powerheads kind a look like a tunzi turbullance powerhead, but still good enough to create a wave very strong and unique too. Im currently using 2 of the koralia powerhead on my tank which is the no.4 that allowed to push the wave a maximum 4600 l/h or 1200 gph. I wish I could post up my tank here to show you all how the movements of my water and the corals are really like it the flow of water on my tank , by the way I got 110 gal a lot of fish on my tank and corals too seems to me everything is ok til next time......dont spent a lot of money for nothing just do a re search anyway its the same thing to either DIY still you going spent a buck to anyway cio lol:2gunsfiring::Band::bablefish:

2frosty4u
    On another forum site I go to, I met a guy who is awsome when it comes to DIY.
    He made exactly what you're suggesting using a powerhead, a watertight electrical box, and a slow motion motor like the ones that power an Ocean Motions wave device. We have many surplus stores in our area to buy this stuff cheap. He hasn't been online since the warmer weather came around so I cant ask him how he built the gearing inside the box I saw on his tank.....but it can be done and he said it cost very little compared to commercialy available products.

Quote Originally Posted by 2frosty4u View Post
    On another forum site I go to, I met a guy who is awsome when it comes to DIY.
    He made exactly what you're suggesting using a powerhead, a watertight electrical box, and a slow motion motor like the ones that power an Ocean Motions wave device. We have many surplus stores in our area to buy this stuff cheap. He hasn't been online since the warmer weather came around so I cant ask him how he built the gearing inside the box I saw on his tank.....but it can be done and he said it cost very little compared to commercialy available products.
    Well a small table fan is as small as you can get, if you pull the head of the fan out of the neck of the stand, you will be left with a metal pipe. Attach your power head to the pipe. This will rotate back and forth.

Now take off the plastic head to expose the motor of the fan, remove the blade and the cage.
    Now all you gotta do is either make a acrylic box for the motor (punch hole in the acrylic for the metal Pipe that is attached to the power head. Or just rig the motor onto the side of your tank (out of the water) somehow with motor exposed (obviously not a permanent solution for this last idea)
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    Well a small table fan is as small as you can get, if you pull the head of the fan out of the neck of the stand, you will be left with a metal pipe. Attach your power head to the pipe. This will rotate back and forth.
    First you will want to make sure that this is plugged into a GFCI cirucuit for safety.

Second I am pretty sure that the pipe in a table fan will not be made of high quality stainless steel, but instead will be standard steel. This means that submerging it to salt water will lead it to corrode releasing metals into the water. This can harm/kill your tanks inhabitants.

I would suggest removing this setup and do some further investigation into other options.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

i don't think he actually has it yet... it's just imagination.

hum how about extending the fan's metal pipe with plastic (PVC) pipe be4 attaching the PH to it.
    Hardwares: 50G reef tank, 30G sump & ~55lb Indo/Fiji LR. Finnex 36"x4 T5 lights, Coralife Superskimmer 220g, Mag9.5 return and SEIO820+MJ600 PH.
    Corals: zoosss, mushrooms, hammer, torch, fogsprawn, blasto, crocea clam, RBTA
    Fish: Percular clown PJ cardinal, royal gramma, yellow watchman goby, 3x chromis.