Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anemone experts: What is a condi considered

Bubble anemone or a Long Tentacle anemone?

Or is a condi unique on it's own. The reason I ask is this. I have two ocelliris clowns and they won't go near my purple tiped condi.

The LFS has maroon clowns. And I see by this chart that maroon clowns will host in a LTA.

IS this chart right, and does this make sense, and finally what is a condi considered, LTA?

False Percula Clown
    Amphiprion ocellaris Carpet anemone,
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

Percula Clown
    Amphiprion percula Carpet anemone,
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

"Sebae" Clown
    Amphiprion clarkii Sebae anemone
    Long Tentacle anemone
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Carpet anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

Tomato Clown
    Amphiprion frenatus Bubble anemone
    Long Tentacle anemone
    Sebae anemone

Maroon Clown
    Premnas biaculatus Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Bubble anemone
    Long Tentacle anemone

Pink Skunk Clown
    Amphiprion perideraion Long Tentacle anemone
    Sebae anemone
    Ritteri (Maroon) anemone
    Carpet anemone
    Saddle anemone
    Bubble anemone

Thanks for any info you can shed light on
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

There is no guarentee that clowns will host in an anemone. They may ignore an anemone for months or years and then suddenly host or never go near it and host in something else.

As to your original question I am not sure where Condi's are classed.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

condy's are unique unto themselves. ( Condylactis sp. ) and they do not have a relationship with any fish ( clowns or damsels etc ). not to say that there are not individuals that will host them but it is very rare. condy's are also very aggressive and pack a powerful wallop, stinging corals and other anemones when the decide to go for a walk ( which they do quite frequently ). if you have any red leg hermits you should be very careful as well as the cody is one of their favorite snacks :b13:

PS they require high light levels as well ( you were saying that you do not have strong light )
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by a4twenty View Post
    condy's are unique unto themselves. ( Condylactis sp. ) and they do not have a relationship with any fish ( clowns or damsels etc ). not to say that there are not individuals that will host them but it is very rare. condy's are also very aggressive and pack a powerful wallop, stinging corals and other anemones when the decide to go for a walk ( which they do quite frequently ). if you have any red leg hermits you should be very careful as well as the cody is one of their favorite snacks :b13:
    Thanks for the red legged info, I will defintely keep that in mind. Luckily I have none. Just 2 blue leg HC.

Ya...I was afraid of that. But all that I can grab near the shore line is condies 8\

No bubble tip that I see, or LTA. Well I might have seen them, but in the wild it's hard to tell what they are. Your not exactly stationary and it's hard to make up your mind when your 8 feet underwater holding your breath.

Well maybe I will luck out and get a compatible anemone for my clowns.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

Unhappy

as stated above, your lighting is insufficient for anenomes as well as your experience in keeping them or what they are. you really shouldn't be just grabbing whatever you see out of the ocean and plopping it into your tank.
    this isn't stamp collecting

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    as stated above, your lighting is insufficient for anenomes as well as your experience in keeping them or what they are. you really shouldn't be just grabbing whatever you see out of the ocean and plopping it into your tank.
    this isn't stamp collecting
    Well john, you have heard of buying live rock with hitch hikers on them. Like dusterfans, anemones and the like. Where do you think those come from....?
    And they end up in tanks like mine. So is there a difference in your mind?

As soon as you start paying my electric bill, then I will go all balls out and make my tank exactly the way you see fit. Okay.

I won't say anything further, although you need to hear it. I will let you deal with you, on your own time. I am sure, eventually, you will figure it out.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    your lighting is insufficient for anenomes as well as your experience
    Keeping anemones under inadequate lighting is not meant to be an insult it is a documented fact. Anemones require strong lighting, adequate water flow and a mature stable tank of at least a year for them to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    As soon as you start paying my electric bill, then I will go all balls out and make my tank exactly the way you see fit. Okay.
    To set up a healthy thriving tank is not about shelling out big bucks for electricity, buying the biggest skimmer, or the strongest pump. It is about knowing what your system is capable of supporting and ensuring that the livestock in your tank will live a long healthy life. In another post you mention that you will never be able to have SPS corals which, other then the calcium, have the exact same care requirements as an anemone.

Johnny, the others and myself are only trying to help you from making the same mistakes many of us did in the beginning. Personally I would have given Ivan $1000 dollars to run the site in the beginning as I probably flushed 5x that amount by not having this wealth of knowledge when I started.

My best advice is to research, have patience and take the advice given by those more experienced than yourself. There is always something more to learn.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Of all the anemones I have kept, Condi's have proved to be very hardy and tolerant. I have one in my tank that is a beautiful shade of purple and has been with me longer than 10 years. It has only ever served as a host to one clown. A large female maroon clown. Nothing else, ever. It used to go on walks near daily,DESTROYING anything in its path. But I have a thing for oddballs and truly love this one. It will also sting your arm pretty good, if your sensitive to that sort of thing. In the beginning this anemone was kept under NO lighting and did fine. BUT, I had been in the hobby for well into a decade and was fanatical about everything going on in my tank. With good maintenance and husbandry techniques, it can be kept in less than ideal lighting. BUT everything else better be top notch.
    As for the rest of the tone of this thread.....PLease go slow with your additions to your system. It can only handle so much instabitlity before a crash occurs. Aside from the material ($$$) loss. The loss of life is tragic. Not saying that woudl necesarily happen to you. But some of your other threads point to your being reletively new to the hobby, and making many of the mistakes that new reefers make. Use this site and it's many reef educated members for what they are.....FREE ADVICE AND HELP. You have to understand that some people get very upset at less than ideal conditions that some poeple keep their specimens in. And that if you ask a question they are going to tell you what they think. If you don't like that part of this and many other communities, don't take part in them.
    Thats all I have to say.
    I really do hope you get the kind of satisfaction I have from keeping your fish and corals LONG term.
    Good luck
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jaden View Post
    Of all the anemones I have kept, Condi's have proved to be very hardy and tolerant. I have one in my tank that is a beautiful shade of purple and has been with me longer than 10 years. It has only ever served as a host to one clown. A large female maroon clown. Nothing else, ever. It used to go on walks near daily,DESTROYING anything in its path. But I have a thing for oddballs and truly love this one. It will also sting your arm pretty good, if your sensitive to that sort of thing. In the beginning this anemone was kept under NO lighting and did fine. BUT, I had been in the hobby for well into a decade and was fanatical about everything going on in my tank. With good maintenance and husbandry techniques, it can be kept in less than ideal lighting. BUT everything else better be top notch.
    As for the rest of the tone of this thread.....PLease go slow with your additions to your system. It can only handle so much instabitlity before a crash occurs. Aside from the material ($$$) loss. The loss of life is tragic. Not saying that woudl necesarily happen to you. But some of your other threads point to your being reletively new to the hobby, and making many of the mistakes that new reefers make. Use this site and it's many reef educated members for what they are.....FREE ADVICE AND HELP. You have to understand that some people get very upset at less than ideal conditions that some poeple keep their specimens in. And that if you ask a question they are going to tell you what they think. If you don't like that part of this and many other communities, don't take part in them.
    Thats all I have to say.
    I really do hope you get the kind of satisfaction I have from keeping your fish and corals LONG term.
    Good luck
    Jason

I agree.

that anemone is the star in my tank. And he's treated as such. I feed him with a turkey baster. Make sure he's comfortable (temp and water flow). And he finally came out of the conk shell he was in, and he also does walks now. Which I take is him being healthy enough to decide to go where he wants to go, because he is finding a spot he likes.

He has got neon colored tips, tan and fat colored tentacles (I have had him for 3 weeks now). so I think if he was going to die, he wouldn't be looking so nice.
    I have been going very slow now. My tank is at it's fullest. I am not putting anymore of anything in there right now, except the occasional coral or live rock I find. As far as animals are concerned, I have enough.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

BIGGUNSAR, everyone here is only trying to help you from making the same mistakes many of us did in the beginning. Personally I would have given Ivan $1000 dollars to run the site in the beginning as I probably flushed 5x that amount by not having this wealth of knowledge when I started.
    ????? this can't be meant for me???????????

ANDY, seriously whats your problem?? we all know your new at this and were trying to help? from your posts we see that you have very little lighting,your dripping chloride which you don't need,to many fish,you want to relocate them after in the ocean,you didn't state you were upgrading to a larger tank
    etc. you also never stated your CONDI was a hitchhiker [which I doubt].
    we cannot read your mind and its you whom should give us your tank stats not for me to ''guess''.
    you keep getting all bent out of shape when we offer advice. you already have a full tank without ever asking ''can I'' or ''should I'' add this to my tank.
    really, relax, if you post on NAY web site about something thats not really good or right people will let you know. you should take this advice because most of them ARE more experienced in this hobby.
    I for one will not help you anymore just because of your attitude.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast