Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Made my own calcium drip device for 1 dollar

If any of you use calcium chloride to top up your calcium in your tank here is an easy way to make an auto dripper that you don't have to add calcium every day by hand to your tank.

Take a 355ml spring or purified water bottle.

Punch a small hole in the top of the lid (make sure it's off side and not dead center * I will explain why down further)

Punch another same sized hole in the bottom of the bottle.

Put your calcium chloride solution in the bottle and get a glass.

Turn your bottle upside down and leave it for one hour. Then measure the amount of water dripped into the glass.

If it's more than (1ml per gallon you have). Then open the lid of the bottle and TURN the plastic liner on the inside of the lid a bit. (this makes the hole on the outside of the lid, off center to the inside of the liner's hole, which will make the water drip slower) Try again.

Eventually you will get a perfect drip.

VOILA automatic calcium dripper for 1 buck!

To stand the bottle up, go to your local hardware store and buy a retort clamp. Or....
    Just lean the bottle up against something that securely makes it stand up.

Mine has been working since last night.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

liv
    cool little diy project.
    A+ for the enginuity

hi andy, couple of things bud, you should never drip calcium chloride!
    you should drip kalk. kalk is balanced for calcium and alk [super important]
    as well, as I mentioned before, you do not need to even drip kalk for that setup. softy's and even some LPS in that tank will do just fine or even better with regular water changes.
    your getting ahead of yourself with this. also, when dripping/adding anything you need to test for what your adding. things need to be in ballance.
    if you ''add'' chloride, you need to buff as well.
    also, kalk in those jugs will eventually split the seams. I'm not sure why this happens but its a reaction with the plastics. could be ph. you can easily order a KENTS dripper but honestly, you do not need any thing added to that setup. if you had calcium/alk sucking clams and SPS then thats different.

i only used kalk mix with iodine & stroniume i also have together dkh buffer and every week i throw a teaspoon of magn tech it helps my sps & lps as well. as far as i know about softys corals in my tank their all ok growing a lot. I do recommended you to change a water monthly basis that helps to keep all your protein in your aquarium thats what i know about it til next time guys!:b15:

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    hi andy, couple of things bud, you should never drip calcium chloride!
    you should drip kalk. kalk is balanced for calcium and alk [super important]
    as well, as I mentioned before, you do not need to even drip kalk for that setup. softy's and even some LPS in that tank will do just fine or even better with regular water changes.
    your getting ahead of yourself with this. also, when dripping/adding anything you need to test for what your adding. things need to be in ballance.
    if you ''add'' chloride, you need to buff as well.
    also, kalk in those jugs will eventually split the seams. I'm not sure why this happens but its a reaction with the plastics. could be ph. you can easily order a KENTS dripper but honestly, you do not need any thing added to that setup. if you had calcium/alk sucking clams and SPS then thats different.
    WHy is dripping calcium chloride bad?
    Can't get any coraline buildup with out calcium.
    I do bottle water top ups and water changes. So how do I get calcium in my tank. I have picked up some corals and want to keep them happy.

Chloride is only salt. So when the saline is too high, I will have to empty a jug of tank water and replace with bottled water. I know this.

As far as alk is concerned, I just manually add that. As it doens't go down very fast. I could also drip alk solution at the same time with the same method.

Just curious why my tank would not need calcium. I have inverts and anemonies.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

If you add too much Calcium without a matching amount of Alk, you can trigger a Calcium precipitation event (a whole bunch comes out of solution and "snows" in your tank). If this happens, there is a good chance your tank will crash.

By dripping only Calcium Chloride, you are in effect dripping one part of a two part additive.

I would add the second bottle and drip them together at the same time/rate.

Kalkwasser is balanced (effectively the same as adding both, but, chemically different). Calcium reactors also offer a balanced additive, again different chemistry with the same net result.

Cheers.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Calcium does not help anemones or soft corals. It is only used to build the structures/skeletons of hard corals as well as the shells of crabs, shrimp and snails (as well as Coraline algae).

Chloride is an element that makes up 1/2 of salt (sodium chloride and Calcium Chloride are 2 examples). The problem is if you have lots of excess Chloride in the tank it will combine with minute amounts of hydrogen (and other elements and compounds) to produce acids lowering the ph.

I am not sure what the contents of the powder I use are but it is a Calcium supplement for tanks. I'm sure you could dissolve some in fresh water and drip this solution but I would do daily testing to make sure th calcium levels do not spike.

Jer

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    WHy is dripping calcium chloride bad?
    Can't get any coraline buildup with out calcium.
    I do bottle water top ups and water changes. So how do I get calcium in my tank. I have picked up some corals and want to keep them happy.

Chloride is only salt. So when the saline is too high, I will have to empty a jug of tank water and replace with bottled water. I know this.

As far as alk is concerned, I just manually add that. As it doens't go down very fast. I could also drip alk solution at the same time with the same method.

Just curious why my tank would not need calcium. I have inverts and anemonies.
    Its the early bird that gets the worm, but its the second mouse that gets the cheese.

calcium chloride

You should be dripping kalk in your setup. When you start to maintain corals requiring more calcium then you can convert your alk drip to a two part additive drip. I have been dripping calcium chloride and baked baking soda and kalk for about 3 years. The difference is my tank is mainly sps corals requiring much more calicum than the soft corals you maintain. Your DIY project is great and will allow you to drip many additives over the years so kudos to you. All my "drippers" are made from tide bottles. Three of them are exactly what my current setup requires from the point of daily evap. As you evaporate more change the size of your bottles.
    Good luck
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by kjasjg View Post
    Calcium does not help anemones or soft corals. It is only used to build the structures/skeletons of hard corals as well as the shells of crabs, shrimp and snails (as well as Coraline algae).

Chloride is an element that makes up 1/2 of salt (sodium chloride and Calcium Chloride are 2 examples). The problem is if you have lots of excess Chloride in the tank it will combine with minute amounts of hydrogen (and other elements and compounds) to produce acids lowering the ph.

Jer
    Chloride (Cl-) has no effect on pH. It does not recombine with H+ to give HCl (a strong acid). Otherwise, the table salt (NaCl) you add to food or cooking would make it very acidic, which does not occur.

This discussion is a bit complex and requires a first year chemistry lecture alone. I'll give you the jist of it.

Ions that come from strong acids do not affect pH. These are chloride (Cl-), bromide (Br-), iodide (I-), nitrate (NO3-) and sulfate (SO4 2-).

Ions that come from weak acids DO affect pH. These are carbonate (CO3 2-), bicarbonate (HCO3-) and borates --- this is the basis of buffering in seawater.
    (Hope that's clear without being able to make the super- and subscripts).

If you're really interested and up for the reading, pick up a high school chemistry text book and read about acids/bases and equilibrium to start.

ChemLife

point is, you should never drip one part without the other. dripping calcium drives down the ALK value. ALK is just as important if not more so than chloride.
    like stated before, he [BIGUNS] does not need any additives for his setup at this moment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast