Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

False Perc with an enlarged eye

I know I read something about this somewhere before. I just noticed the smaller of my two false percs seems to have one eye that is a little larger than the other. He seems to be trying to scratch it on the substrate. Any idea if this is a disease and how I might treat it? How serious is it?

I think it might be 'popeye'. But he seems to be doing ok. My theory is perhaps it got injured by the dominant behaviour the larger female exhibits towards him. She likes to put him in his place from time to time. She may have caused it. It 's not like she harasses him, just every now again will give him a display so he knows she's the boss. His appetite and swimming look normal. I don't think I'll QT at this stage - just keep close tabs on him. Anybody have other suggestions?

QT, and reduce stress to start. (my female tears the skin of my male, and his flesh hangs off,(yuk), and when I separate them they touch noses through the mess, as though they're long lost lovers....and he inevitably escapes to her side...masocist!! and then she stops ripping him to sheds... Maybe try this technique when she gets to rough, I use a plastic chicken wire, so they can see each other, and "fall in love again" works every time)
    Popeye (exophthalmus) is usually caused by cyanobacteria, viruses, and fungi. It can also be caused by Ich and bad water conditions, and is often seen as the symptom rather than the disease. Is the swollen eye becoming opaque? Do you have a pic?
    Either way, QT, and give him a break, (all men need one at some stage HEH HEH. )
    If you're sure it's pop-eye try broad spectrum anti-biotics (they're good as they treat a number of causes) geared towards gram-negative bacteria, tetracycline, Tri-sulfate, and copper sulfate etc
    Another method is to remove the fish to clean mature sea water and reduce lighting for a minimum of 14 days, as sometimes it clears up itself after 2-3 weeks.
    separating the fish will reduce stress and allow the eye to heal, and reduce the chances of secondary infections.
    I don't think it's that contagious, but that would depend on the cause. I'll have to look in the books for that one, and I'm sure that someone will know.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thanks for the input Tiffany. Unfortunately I don't have any pics - hoping Santa might bring me a new digital camera for Christmas. The eye is not becoming opaque. In fact in 4 days the swelling looks to have subsided somewhat. I have significantly reduced lighting and did an immediate 15% water change. I have been watching him closely and he seems to be doing alright. I will take your suggestion and QT for some period to see if that helps speed the recovery.

Apparently Santa responds to those who "Mope" about, and leave pamphlets of their favourite item lying around the house..
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Im more than sure its "popeye"

Do you have alot of microbubbles in the tank? What will happen is the fish will digest Microbubbles.. then once the oxigen is in the fish.. it needs to be release.. usally ends up at the eyes.. as that is where it is the weakest for the air to fill up..

Usally its not fatel, the fish might lose its eye, Or the swelling can go down on its own.

I try not to have micro bubbles in the tank but occasionally I'll get some from my skiimmer or filter. I usually do a quick adjustment to avoid a prolonged problem. Tnaks for the hint toooloud, I'll make sure to watch an avoid this in my tank. I hope that wasn't the cause. The eye is still enlarged but not cloudy.

Hello

How enlarged is the eye? popeye will extended the eye a long way out of the socket. If the eye is only slightly distended it's mostly likely not popeye. Likely caused by aggresion or even contact with something in the aquarium.
    Has the fish been netted lately? This can cause alot of problems with the fish's eye comming in contact with the netting. One reason I avoid netting fish when every possible.

Stan

The swelling hasn't gone down and is quite enlarged. I'm almost certain its popeye. I've never netted this fish - like you I try to avoid netting them at all costs. Is there any hope of this swelling going down on its own? It's already been more than week since I first noticed it.

Hello

If it is popeye, other then making sure your water conditions are good there is not a whole lot you can do. I myself have never seen anything that is affective against popeye. Don't be alarmed if your fish loses it's eye that is quite common in cases of popeye.

Stan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast