The dumbest thing I've done is......

Drink skimate!

Now don't laugh it wasn't funny! Let me tell you though it tastes like crap!

Last night I decided that my skimmer needed a top to bottom cleaning. Now when your skimmer stands 5 feet tall that is not real easy. I needed to get the water out of the entire body of the skimmer so that it could be dismantled. I have tried to drop a pump in there in the past but with limited sucess. I decided that since there was one inlet for air above the water line (the cup cleanout hose) and one exit for water air pressure should work great.

So in my infinate wisdom I decided to pressurize the air above the water and force the water out the bottom. I started huffing and puffing into the drain line of the cup and it was working great the water was dropping down as I hoped. Success! But now out of air I had to take a breath and this is where it all went messy. As soon as I opened my mouth to breath the water level quickly rised forcing the air out the tube and the skimate in the cup (there is always a little that doesn't drain) got shot down my throat. It wasn't pleasent!!!!:b8:

Once I realized that the outlet of the skimmer was submerged and created a reverse suction my 2nd attempt worked much better. Man did I learn a lesson.

Now, I assume some of you have spewed coffee on the screen from my move, so I want you to clean it off and then tell us about your not so bright reefing maneuvers.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

My God that takes the cake for any of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

Sorry hope that don't sound bad. LOLOLOL
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

Quote Originally Posted by mike536 View Post
    My God that takes the cake for any of the dumbest things I have ever heard.
    Well isn't that a little harsh? :b15: If I do something stupid I try to make sure it has gusto! :b7:
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Go big or go home I guess!!!LOLOL
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

liv
    dumbest thing i've done is forget the water on i guess.

i did have a taste of cyclopeese in the past my licking a finger while drinking a beer, same finder i used to stir up my food preperation for my fishies.
    ( a nice mix of cyclopeese, mysis, selcon, nori & spirulina )
    tasted the same as it smelled.. LOL

This is the dumbest thing I have done, and the sad part is I thought I was being nice. A few years ago my wife was standing in front of our/my current tank and commented on how much she really liked the Blood Shrimp and wished it would stay out more or that I had more of them. Hmmm, mental note taken. I was in a LFS a few days later and remembered my wife's comments and decided to forgo the beautiful acro I was looking at and got another Blood Shrimp. I arrived home and stuck my head inside the door, called to my wife to come downstairs and hold out her hands for a big surprise. As I placed the large wet bag in her outstretched hands the look of dissappointment spread across her face as she opened her eyes and frowned with disgust at her wet present. At this point I should state that my wife is not a hobbiest and regards the tank and the money and amount of time I spend on it with quiet distain. I should also mention that the night of my thoughtful gift also coincided with her annual Christmas party which we were now going to be slightly late for as I have to acclimate her new present. For the rest of the evening, as I am sure it will be for the rest of my life, I got to here my wife regale in the story of how I heard her mention one time that it might be nice to have another shrimp in the tank, but, I seemed to have missed the 50 times she has mentioned the tennis bracelet.

I would drink a mouthful of skimmate not to have to hear the story again whenever we have people over and they ask, "What is the really neat looking red thingy"?
    If my wife asks, it was only $20.

Hardware:
    220 Gal Mostly SPS Reef, 66 gal sump with refuge, 33 gal refugium, Gen-X Mak-5 Return, 3 x IceCap 250 MH, 2 x 110 VHO, Deltec APF600 Skimmer and a Deltec AP-600, Geo 6-18 Calcium Reactor, 2 x Tunze Stream 6100, Profilux Plus II EX Controller.

When I used to have my kalkwasser dispense as my autotop off water by a float valve, I forgot to shut off the valve when I was doing a 10% water change... While I was siphoning out the water, the kalkwasser was just BLASTING into my tank, as the water was lowering. After about 2 gallons went in, I noticed and immediately shut it off. I didn't test my PH for fear of just how high the reading was going to be. but everything ended up being fine from that...

And if I accidently swallowed skimmate, I'd surely be puking it right back up. That is nasty!
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

ijo
    The first year of having a reef I had a brain coral that had brown slim algae... I should of researched this but instead I just left everything alone thinking it would either die or heal. I didn't expect the brown slime to spread to 90% of the other corals I had in the tank and kill them aswell. :b1:

Leason learned: take your loses when a coral has brown slime. if its a branching type coral(torch, frogspawn, candycane)... turn off all flow in the tank... remove the coral slowly from the tank and cut the infected branch off(don't be shy with how much is cut... it spreads very easily)

I've attached an image for your reference.

IJO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The dumbest thing I've done is......-image006.jpg