Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SOMEONE IS GOING TO GET PAN FRIED..either the surgeon fish or the coral angel beauty!

One of them have been eating the legs of my star fish!!!!!

I had 4 star fish, 3 brittle stars and one banded star fish. Lets just say, I come home from work and here is the banded star fish with only 2 legs left trying to get the fark out of the tank!

Now that leaves me with only one star fish. And he's in a conk shell so he's not able to clean my sand.

Has anyone, or does anyone know if the coral angel beauty or the surgeon fish (tang) eat star fish.

I had put the tang in last in my tank (about 3 weeks ago) and as of this week past. I have lost 3 star fish.
    I didn't lose any star fish before the tang.
    I don't want to jump to conclusions. But I am mad as heck right now.
    I'm about the get the cooking oil and have me a fish feast.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

I'll bet it's the angel fish
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

My bet is on Coral Beauty.

thanks guys...and if it is, he's going BACK to the LFS. Colors or not. Little arsehole is pissing me off.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

Cool

its neither, to many star fish and there starving. star fish are not the easiest to keep and a new tank is no place for them. they start loosing there legs first.

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    its neither, to many star fish and there starving. star fish are not the easiest to keep and a new tank is no place for them. they start loosing there legs first.
    Do they also chew half thier center disks out as well?
    Because my last starfish that was trying to escape from the tank, had his center disk half chewed. And his insides showing.

I purposely bought turtle food (dried shrimp) which the fish don't eat, and it lays on the bottom of the substrate for the starfish to eat.

Every morning the dried shrimp is gone.
    So either the fish are eating dried shrimp at night, or it's the bottom cleaners.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

thats how starfish fall apart, once they start decaying even the fish might start to pick at them as well as the hermits. starfish are hard to keep IMO even for experienced reefers. some get lucky, most do not. there diets are are not well studied.
    another thing is, starfish are very very salinity sensitive and should never be subjected to air [why this is I'm not sure] acclimating stars should be dripped for around 5 hours and even then its a crap shoot.
    I've owned serpents,linkias,fromias and have not had much luck with them LINKIAS should be left in the ocean period. a new tank is going through many other little changes [chemically not just cycled] and I'm not sure how you topoff freshwater but I imaging its jugs at a time because I don't believe you have a sump??
    like I mentioned before in some of our heated threads, you really should ask here or RC before buying or puting anything into your tank. you could save yourself a ton of trouble. I've been at this over 6 years now and have had total tank wipeouts for reasons I could not control or just shit happening.
    SALTWATER/REEFTANKS are 10x harder to keep than a planted freshwater tank IMO and half of the stuff sold should not even be in the hobby

liv
    ya.. from experience, its most likely starving.
    Believe me, I've tried a few. the last one I had in my 130g and it lasted about 6months.. was loosing legs and got to the point where only one leg was left.. it died because i couldn't feed it enough. they need lots of food and a well established tank. my tank was only 1year old. I will definitly get one in the future but will make sure my tank is 110% able to provide enough for it.

I'm not making another bash at you, god knows you've had your share in the last little while, but in my mind, your tank might not be able to provide what it needs yet. also in my mind too many starfish. I had one at a time in a 130g.
    they need room to grase

Cheers!

It would be a good idea to check the salinity before and after topping off with fresh water, so you know how much of a swing is happening. Even a small difference on a daily basis, plus the stress of acclimation , plus the feeding issue would definitly cause tissue loss. That being said, star fish do have incredible regenerative ability, but the tank conditions would have to stabilize before that could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by john rock View Post
    thats how starfish fall apart, once they start decaying even the fish might start to pick at them as well as the hermits. starfish are hard to keep IMO even for experienced reefers. some get lucky, most do not. there diets are are not well studied.
    another thing is, starfish are very very salinity sensitive and should never be subjected to air [why this is I'm not sure] acclimating stars should be dripped for around 5 hours and even then its a crap shoot.
    I've owned serpents,linkias,fromias and have not had much luck with them LINKIAS should be left in the ocean period. a new tank is going through many other little changes [chemically not just cycled] and I'm not sure how you topoff freshwater but I imaging its jugs at a time because I don't believe you have a sump??
    like I mentioned before in some of our heated threads, you really should ask here or RC before buying or puting anything into your tank. you could save yourself a ton of trouble. I've been at this over 6 years now and have had total tank wipeouts for reasons I could not control or just shit happening.
    SALTWATER/REEFTANKS are 10x harder to keep than a planted freshwater tank IMO and half of the stuff sold should not even be in the hobby
    Thanks for the explaination John, it was well laid out. I guess I won't know for sure what did the star fish in. I will keep away from star fish for now. But then the question is, how to keep my substrate clean.
    I have hermit crabs (blue legged and white banded kind). What else besides a conk (can't pull those out of the water until conk season), can I use.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast