help with new setup

i was looking to get a tank around 50 gallons. i dont want the most elaborate setup but i dont want the cheapest. i want to put some clown fish, tangs and other bright coloured fish. i want to be able to add corals and aneomies later on thank you. it will have a sump/refuge but i am not sure of the size yet.

Quote Originally Posted by iswearitsformydaughter View Post
    i was looking to get a tank around 50 gallons. i dont want the most elaborate setup but i dont want the cheapest. i want to put some clown fish, tangs and other bright coloured fish. i want to be able to add corals and aneomies later on thank you. it will have a sump/refuge but i am not sure of the size yet.
    well 50 gal won't do it. Not if you want tangs and "other colored fish". If you keep just one tang (adult) you need minimum 65 gal (and that's with kick ass filtration). And I found out recently even baby tangs get big FAST, like in 6 months the tang will be 2x's the size it is when you buy it (unless it's an adult).

I would go with a 65 gal at least. Build your own stand (it's super easy) *there is a poster in here, that shows how he did it

So the 65 gal should cost you 250 at most.
    15 to 20 dollars worth of wood and the wood screws. Voila.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

If you want tangs, he's right, you'll need a bigger tank. But, there are plenty of colourful fish that you can put in a 40 gallon tank.

There are quite nice looking Wrasses (too many to name), I have a Canary Wrasse (bright yellow). I've also got a Dwarf Flame Angel (very nice colours). Look around, there are lots to choose from, just check the recommended tank size.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGGUNSAR View Post
    you need minimum 65 gal (and that's with kick ass filtration). .
    Actually for tangs they should really be 120 or greater not so much for the water volume but for swimming distance. They are a fast swimming group of fish that in nature cruise large areas of the reef.

As mentioned there are many colorful fish for smaller tanks. In fact I find many more colorful than most tangs are.

Good luck with your setup and keep us posted.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

will go with 65 gal

what will i need to create the most efficient flow? it will have a sump/refuge

Quote Originally Posted by iswearitsformydaughter View Post
    what will i need to create the most efficient flow? it will have a sump/refuge
    I look at sumps as a bigger tank type project.
    Anything 50gals and under shouldn't need a sump. Just a wet dry filter and a protien skimmer.

your biggest challenge is water top ups without disturbing the chemistry of your tank (aka Salinity level)

And that all depends on your lighting. If your willing to use ALOT of light, your going to get more evaporation than a minimal light tank like mine.

I top up each day with 2 big glass's of bottled water. That's all I need, but then again, I don't have much lighting. And once every 2 days I swap out 2 gallons of my tank water for natural sea water (lucky me in the caymans).

But if you go the sump route, there are ALOT of people in here that know about sumps.

What I would do, is train using no sump, just learn the hobby with your 50 gal simple setup. Then when you decide (and you will) get a bigger tank (100gal +) use the old 50 gal for a sump. Then your live rock and sand is aged and you can transfer the live rock, sand and water into the new bigger tank (it's what I plan to do in about 6 months time). And your new bigger tank won't need to cycle 8).

But....it's up to you.

For water flow I just use 2 power heads and I realize in my 40 gal, 2 powerheads were too much, *my anemone HATES too much water flow. So I kicked it back to 1 power head. And everyone seems happy.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

Even if your going with a small tank, a sump with a proper auto top off is THE best way to keep salinity fluctuations at a minimum. And because in small tanks the salinity fluctuations can be much greater, I wouldnt even think twice about it.

So unlike the advice above I would strogly recomend using a sump. THings will be more stable because of it. Also will be less of a hasle. Your fragile inverts will thank you for it.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

i am going with a 65 gallon with a 25 gal fuge how big of a sump will i need?

Your sump is used for several things that usually dictate the minimum size. First if your skimmer is an in sump model you need to allow for its foot print. Second, all heaters you will be using will need to fit into this area. Third there must be enough area for the bubble traps to function effectively and be cleaned (partially determined by flow & skimmer type). Finally an area for your return pump to draw the water from or sit in. This area should be as large as possible because all of the evaporated water will afect this areas level only.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.