Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for lighting experts: what matters more, wattage or brightness.

SO in otherwords. If I buy two 15 watt 11,000k bulbs. Would that be better or worse than say a 2 250 watt 10k bulbs?

(ie, my thinking is the light power not the wattage is what counts) But I could and probably are, wrong.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

What matters most is PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation). This is the light that the coral can use.

11,000 Kelvin vs. 10,000 Kelvin colour temperature won't change the PAR directly, but, each bulb will be different.

Each bulb will have a different ratio of PAR to wattage, but, in general, more wattage means more PAR.

edit: I'm assuming that you mean 2 150 watt not 15 watt.
    Going double ended on the 150 might gain you more PAR that a single ended 250. You can also get more PAR from an electronic ballast. Electronic Ballasts tend to be more efficient too.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by cres View Post
    What matters most is PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation). This is the light that the coral can use.

11,000 Kelvin vs. 10,000 Kelvin colour temperature won't change the PAR directly, but, each bulb will be different.

Each bulb will have a different ratio of PAR to wattage, but, in general, more wattage means more PAR.

edit: I'm assuming that you mean 2 150 watt not 15 watt.
    Going double ended on the 150 might gain you more PAR that a single ended 250. You can also get more PAR from an electronic ballast. Electronic Ballasts tend to be more efficient too.
    Sadly..no. I mean 15 watts. Here in the caymans electricity is more expensive than you can imagine (75 cents per kilowatt hour vs canada at 7 cents per kilowatt hour) *take your hydro bill and multiply it by 10. And thats' my hydro bill!

So yes, I use 15 watt 11,000k bulbs.
    I want to use 2 11k, Cause right now, I only use one 11,000k , and then one actinic (but the actinic doens't put out much light)
    SO i want to use 2 15 watt 11,000k bulbs for a grand total of 30watts of 22,000k lighting. (get rid of my actinic)
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

two 250 watt 10k bulbs are going to be a hell of a lot brighter than two 15 watt 11k bulbs. The K rating doesn't increase with more bulbs added. Wattage adds up, but k rating doesn't... The k rating is pretty much your colour of the lighting. 10k is yellow, where 20k is bright whitish/bluish... Obviously you want to find the most energy efficient bulbs for your area. So MH's are out of the question... I'd be looking into t5's and/or LED lighting systems. Or I'd rig up a giant mirror outside your house that reflects the sunlight right to your tank :P
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    two 250 watt 10k bulbs are going to be a hell of a lot brighter than two 15 watt 11k bulbs. The K rating doesn't increase with more bulbs added. Wattage adds up, but k rating doesn't... The k rating is pretty much your colour of the lighting. 10k is yellow, where 20k is bright whitish/bluish... Obviously you want to find the most energy efficient bulbs for your area. So MH's are out of the question... I'd be looking into t5's and/or LED systems. LED lighting is one of the most energy efficient, but cost a small fortune... But they could slowly be worth it in your area.
    Led's huh. So would I get to have corals with LED's? I have t6's running right now. that is the two bulbs I am talking about one 11k t6 at 15 watts. And an actinic of 7k t6 at 20w.

Would LED"S allow me to have corals and stuff?

I am seriously thinking of moving my tank near a window and jsut allowing the damn sun to do the work for me. I have been mulling over today how to move the fish tank though. It's going to be an easy 500 pounds. I was thinking a 1 ton jack, lift up the "stand" and put heavy duty wheels under the legs of the stand (you can get wheels that can hold 2000 pounds a piece or more). This way I coudl roll it to near the window.
    Drain as many gallons as I can, but not to the point it uncovers my rocks.
    (shoudl lessen the tank weight by 50 to 100 pounds). Then use the jack and insert teh wheels.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

I think it's a company called solaris that makes LED lighting systems. But they use quite afew led's to make up enough light energy to have corals. Not totally sure if they would be cheaper than flourescents.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by Porcupinepuffer View Post
    I think it's a company called solaris that makes LED lighting systems. But they use quite afew led's to make up enough light energy to have corals. Not totally sure if they would be cheaper than flourescents.
    Even a just one light at 50w on for 18 hours a day (assumeing you use two lights, one for 12 hours a day one for 6 hours a day totalling 18 hours a day)

It would cost me in the neighbourhood of 200 CI a month. NOT including my protien skimmer and my wet dry filter and one power head (add another 120 dollars)

So for something as shatty as 2 -50 watt bulbs and the above gear. You would pay 320 dollars a month. And that is no where as sufficient as I need to have tanks like yours.
    And that's not including airconditioning costs ect ect.
    75 cents a kilowatt hour is a killer here.

IF we were to calculate those led's. 250 watts for the most energy effecient one. at 18 hours a day. about 1300 dollars a month. Nuh uh.... who here would pay that much for lighting?

I guess I just have to throw my hands up and give up making the light. And just have a sun powered tank.

So I guess the common sense is to let the sun do the work for me. So..on to how to move this tank.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

I sympathize, but look on the bright side. You are paying much less in income tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Zookeeper View Post
    I sympathize, but look on the bright side. You are paying much less in income tax.
    ya, not paying any. But if i want tanks like yours, I guess I gotta pay up.

where is my fish eutopia....sigh
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

You should look up Solar Tubes. There are tanks (in the tropics) running on these. They channel light from the roof to your tank. It would require you to be able to run one or more 10"-12" tubes up from the tank to the roof.
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast