Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

WOOT WOOT..(double woot) scored a carpet anemone yesterday

With 3 ghost shrimp.

I couldn't believe my luck. swam right over him and was like NOOOO WAYYYY. scooped him up and preped him for home delivery 8)

I like finding things for my tank instead of buying them. You feel that you earned the item. And you get that much more attached to them, cause most of the cool stuff isn't that easy to find.

The sad thing was, where I got the anemone (in the turtle grass). there were BEAUTIFUL dusterfans along the floor and so much more life down there. but because it's wading water. Some guys decide to tromp through the turtle grass to start fishing.

good chance that anemone woudl have gotten stomped.

Sad too really. Cause there was gorgonia's down there (huge ones) and lots of other stuff. I really don't think those guys realized all the life they were stomping on, to get to waist high water so they could fish.
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

I strongly suggest you take the carpet back and release it immediatly.

Carpet anemones require excellent water quality and even more importantly very strong lighting. Normally these things will be kept under 250w or 400w metal halides in home aquariums. They grow in the shallows as you said which means they receive a massive amount of light in nature.

It will survive in your tank for a while (days/weeks) but will be wasting away slowly. By the time it shows the true signs of decay it will be too late.

Until you have come up with a solution to provide high light levels to the tank, either through standard light options (T5's, MH, LED's) or natural light (using lite tubes, or outdoor placement) you should leave the corals and anemones in the ocean and maintain a FO system.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Quote Originally Posted by ShipWreck View Post
    I strongly suggest you take the carpet back and release it immediatly.

Carpet anemones require excellent water quality and even more importantly very strong lighting. Normally these things will be kept under 250w or 400w metal halides in home aquariums. They grow in the shallows as you said which means they receive a massive amount of light in nature.

It will survive in your tank for a while (days/weeks) but will be wasting away slowly. By the time it shows the true signs of decay it will be too late.

Until you have come up with a solution to provide high light levels to the tank, either through standard light options (T5's, MH, LED's) or natural light (using lite tubes, or outdoor placement) you should leave the corals and anemones in the ocean and maintain a FO system.
    well I am using natural sunlight now. So I think I have more than adequite lighting.

But that's for that suggestion.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

Im with Shipwreck on this one. Please return the anemone. You will only end up killing the anemone. Your tank is WAYYYYYYYY to small for the anemone. It will eat all your fish, they are very aggressive.

In all honesty, it sounds like your jumping the gun on alot of things. You need to take a step back and think about what your introducing to your tank and try to create a balanced environement for the inhabitants, I would suggest doing more research which might help you make more educated decisions about what you take home from the sea.

In your position, considering you are only able to run a mediocre system due to electrical costs etc. I would limit tank inhabitants to life that you find in tidepools. This is where youll find more resistant animals as far as extreme water quality goes, but even then you will encounter many of these anemones and other inverts to be photosynthetic which means 15w of light will not do it.

On second thaughts, if I were you, I would leave everything in the ocean and get a snorkel. at least then you could get some excersize and see all this beautifull life at its thriving state, not too many of us have that chance on a daily basis. You could get a decent camera and take beautifull pics of al the cool stuff you see. This way you might have a bit more positive feedback from people who care deeply about these creatures, right now its difficult for me to stay positive because of some of the stuff your doing in your 40 gallon tank.
    PLEASE SEND ALL ACROPORA FRAGS TO THE REEFSURFER

ijo
    Have you thought of running one of those reflector tubes into your house? It takes the sun light and sends it to your tank... you might end up with heat issues but we should be able to take care of that with fans.

I'll look for some more info for you... it would definately help you with your lighting problem once setup.

IJO

I am beginning to think you do and say these things just to get people's ire up. There have been more negative threads and responses due to your topics than anywhere I have seen in several years of helping people in many different online commmunities. 15 watt NO lighting and your tank by a window, along with an OBVIOUSLY instable environment is not suitable for a carpet anemone. You can do as you please and have shown that is exactly what you intend to do.
    Good luck to your inhabitants.
    Jason

Correction, it's a bubble tip.

PS. My lighting is sufficent. Moved my tank into direct sunlight. And if the caribbean sun isn't good enough, well then. I guess it's not good enough.

I was told my condy wouldn't do well either. Yet here is it, month later. Happy as can be.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

Post Carpter Anemone personal Experience.

I'm not on anyones side in this thread but, I just wanted to share that my own experience with carpet anemone. No Special MH Light needed only feed it once or two times a week and they get Goergous. I have 1 customer that has his carpet for now 1 Years, was bought from me and is under 1x 65w Power Compact in a 50 gallons tank. He feeds if 2 times a week and now is 16" big. When I sold that anemone it was only 8" Big.

So my 2 cents is that if you put your carpet under Halide you don't need to Feed it with Live Food. But if you don't have strong light you can feed it 1-2 times a week as she will do fine.

Does anyone ever had the same experience ? :b9:

BIGGUNSAR,

Condy anemone don't require as much care and Tank size as a Carpet anemone.

Your comparing a Mice with a Elephant now ! :b10:

I would like to see some new pictures of the tank, see how everything looks in there, and how it looks being lit up buy the natural sunlight.

Can you post some more pictures?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast