Unhappy what would this bright orange stuff be...?

hello all, I've just recently added more Live rock to my tank, today there is BRIGHT orange splotches all over everything, it's spreading to the sand & everything else. I wondering if this is a good thing? (I hope!) I haven't been at this long, but it seems that if 'it' spreads fast, it must be bad (aptaisia..algae..) and I'm doing something wrong! I've tried to find out what it is, but nothing has turned up yet, so any wisdom is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

That might be a amonia spik due to new live rock and it should be bronw algea(diatom), your creaning crew should take care of it.

Carl
    30 gl SWFO but upgrating

Bright orange? Can you post a picture?

My intial thought are that it could be some type of Cyano bacteria, but that is usually more of a redish/purple colour.

Figured out the post pix ... here's the orange stuff.. reminds me of a rusted out '77 Ford Gremlin colour.....http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/s....php?photo=385
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Bouboule is correct. Brown diatom algae. Nothing to worry about, the cleaning crew will take care of it.

Yep, I had the same thing after adding a new piece of LR. The cleaning crew went to work on it. They're still hard at it but there isn't as much anymore. Nothing to get too excited about.

Brown diatom algae

That is what it is.. As well to adding the cleanup crew, Might want to increase your Water flow.. when you get growth like this in areas of your tank usally its from lack of flow.. increase your flowrate.. I add a couple of powerheads on a wavemaker would be great!

:smile3: Thank you everyone! I didn't know diatom came in day glo orange! I'm learning ALOT! I'll up the water flow & add a cleaning crew. :thanx:
    I've noticed that raising kids & fish are similar: Patience & dedication really pays off!

Toooloud, I thought that Diatom algae like high water flow. I have "good"? growth where the water flow is the highest.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

there are many different reasons why they grow.. But i have found that increased water flow usally helped clear things up.