Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

aquaripure....does it really remove nitrates

Why I ask is all the research I have been doing, shows water changes don't really do much, but keep the nitrates where they are.

I want something that will eliminate nitrates.

I have found this page

http://aquaripure.com/

now if you don't know me yet, I always look at whats being said and take it with a grain of salt. There are a million and one opinions. I would like to know if anyone had tried this or a similiar product. And is it any good?
    90 gal tank
    200 gal power fussion skimmer

1 firefish, 1 wrasse, 1 juvi yellow tang, 1 watchman gobi
    70 pounds free Live sand,200 pounds free Live rock
    1 power heads,

If your so close to the ocean why not use NSW?

Quote Originally Posted by DARK View Post
    If your so close to the ocean why not use NSW?
    Because unless you do a 100 percent water change, even with NSW. Your going to have nitrates. All a water change does it keeps the nitrates where they are.

If you are at 10ppm, if you change enough water it will stay at 10ppm.

I want .5 ppm.

I could get rid of most of my fish and yes, the nitrates will drop to the level I want. But i like my fish, and want to keep my fish.

So I am looking at any alternatives to dropping the nitrate. Mine is at 20ppm. And I don't like it sitting that high.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

ijo
    If your not doing natural sea water changes... I would start(this is such a valuable resource you have).

Get yourself a large container(65 gallon or so) and have a pump in it running 24/7(something small to keep your electric bill down). Weekly water changes of 20% to 25% to keep everything in your tank in check and don't bother with any other additions(calcium, kalk, alk, whatever)... you already have the best... sea water is as good as it gets(the animals came from this environment)... no need to try and change it.

If you find your ammonia readings not changing... there might be a good chance your test kit is faulty... what brand is it?(to be honest with you... with a 20 to 25% weekly water change... don't bother testing for anything(just make sure not to pack this small tank with fish and corals)

IJO

P.S. I would also go with 1 anemone... 2 will more than likely get you in trouble(its not fun starting over)

ijo
    I just noticed your post about nitrates... the nitrates will eventually go down once your setup is able to handle the bioload... high nitrates is a sign that your tanks filter capacity is not where your bioload is..... frequent water changes can buy you some time(the good news is your water changes are free)

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    I just noticed your post about nitrates... the nitrates will eventually go down once your setup is able to handle the bioload... high nitrates is a sign that your tanks filter capacity is not where your bioload is..... frequent water changes can buy you some time(the good news is your water changes are free)

IJO
    Ya, i think your right. I am doing NSW changes now. A gallon a day.

but I think my wet dry filter sucks donkey b@lls. *i know what your thinking Ivan...andrew hasn't changed a bit...your right! LOL

But I think my wet dry filter is producing nitrates.

Might dump it for one of those canister filter types.

Or this aquaripure thing.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

ijo
    I would dump it and go with more live rock... this would eventually be a much more stable filter(no cleaning needed)... I'm sure this is also free in your area... lol man your lucky!!

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    I would dump it and go with more live rock... this would eventually be a much more stable filter(no cleaning needed)... I'm sure this is also free in your area... lol man your lucky!!

IJO
    Anymore live rock in my tank and I will have no room for the fishes to swim. *is fishes a word? LOL

I could put another 3 or 4 peices in.

Ya, im lucky. It's like winning the lottery....to the moon. Nice view. always wanted to go there. But you don't want to live here. LOL HAHA.
    90 gal tank

1 power heads,

you could always try some macro algae and protein skiming to help keep the nitrates down. I also would forget all mechanical filtration all together as this is most likely a major contributor to your nitrate problem

Water changes do not get rid of nitrates, but they do reduce nitrates through dilution. If your nitrates are not going down as a result of water chages then.... yout filtration is inadequate for your system. Wet dry's are useless for a reef system. Get rid of it. Do not buy any filter specifically designed for nitrate removal (use NSW changes). Get a better skimmer than your seaclone. Which by the way is about as good as a gerbil blowing through a straw. Spend your money on a decent skimmer rated larger than your system.
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast