Thread: lights

lights

i was just wondering if this is a decent light to start off with? i am on a budget but i will slowly be upgrading. the tank is 90 gal. thanks for your help Icecap 660 sorry about that

:022:........................................
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

ijo
    The icecap 660 is only a ballast... it doesn't come with anything else you will need(endcaps, lamps, reflector)... you will also need to wire everything. Other than that... the icecap 660 is a great ballast.

If your looking to start off with VHO lamps and want to save a little more... go with a lighting kit(can't remember the name of it right now). It has everything you need to get a 2x 110 watt VHO setup up and running(the ballast is made by the same company that makes the icecap ballasts).. I think it was $130 for the kit(I might actually have one left in the basement)

IJO

i havent used vho but im using t5s and i think they are great. nice and small.... parts are relatively cheap too... if you are really good with wiring i seen people just wire it right up without endcaps...

[QUOTE=chujai; if you are really good with wiring i seen people just wire it right up without endcaps...[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't recommend this at all. Could you imagine if they caught fire especially around all that water. Try and file an insurance claim then. Just a thought. I have VHO's and MH's and I love them. I think t5's are the way to go thou. I think they are much cheaper. Well the bulbs anyway.
    Cheers,
    Mike Philpott

would the kit be enough light for a 90gal? this way when i upgrade, i can get mh and use the kit mentioned for actinic...... right???

thanks for you help

Go with the t5's with individual refelectors. Then upgrade and just get your halides and individual refelctors and you are set.
    Jason

ijo
    I love T5 but if you can afford the VHO I would take this route. The good news about the kit is if you decide to upgrade to a MH/VHO combo.. you can still use everything except for the reflectors... upgrade your reflector with a MH/VHO reflector and your all set.

Ivan