Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

B&W Ocellaris vs PBT & YWrasse

Hey folks, need some help. I have 2 B&W Ocellaris - approx 3/4" - like in IJO's wall tank if you're looking for a pic. They've been in QT for 3 weeks and I was watching them in MS for 3 weeks. No issues. So I want to add them to my tank but I'm a bit worried that they may get harassed by my 3" PBT and/or 3" YWrasse. Any experience or comments here? I don't have an Anemone for them. Just a torch coral that I'm hoping they'll host. Any advice would be appreciated. I can certainly leave them in the 30g QT for a while but I really want to get them in the tank.

how big is your tank?

and are there lots of hiding spots?

clowns are very poor swimmers so the will likely stick close to the rock for protection at first.
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

65g - 90lbs LR - Plenty o' hiding places. The best 3 spots are of course frequented by my 2 cleaners and my PBT sleeps in one of them. From what I've found through researching they are all compatible. The PBT may bully them a bit but I'm hoping he gives that up before they do. My only concern is that both the PBT & YW are 3x bigger than the new guys.

Here's a pic. You can see the two I am questioning. Lots of hiding spots. About 1/2 of the center lower half of the tank is in this pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails B&W Ocellaris vs PBT & YWrasse-powder-blue-yellow-wrasse.jpg  

liv
    well.. tangs dont usually harass clows( I've never seen any do that.. but there is a first for everything.. lol )... I say its fine.. specially since they have lots of hiding spots. keep a close eye on them.. but i bet they will simply ignore them altogether.

I don't think you'll have to worry about any permanet agression, however the tang is likely to let them know he owns the tank. It'll likely amount to a showing of "the big fin" a few times and maybe a chase or three.

The wrasse may also chase them around a bit, but I doubt there will be any long term issues.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

My regal tang didn't do anything when I added clowns to my tank. Infact, he was chicken and hid behind the rocks for about 20 minutes before slowly coming out to check out the clowns... But that's a regal tang and not a pbt... You could try using a small mirror on your tank to make the PBT think there's another pbt in the tank when it sees its reflection... It confuses it, and it'll behave a little better. Works good for most fish.
    120g AGA~145 lbs Haitian LR~DA Reef Keeper 2 Controller~Dual 14k 250 DE MH's~Dual Overflows~Dual 250w Jager Heaters~Dual 96W Actinics~30g Sump/Refugium~Mag 12 Return~140 lbs Reefgrade Caribsea Aragonite~BubbleKing 180 Skimmer~Phosban Reactor~GEO Kalk Reactor~Powerheads:MP40w/Seio 820/modified Powersweep 270 with Hydor rotating deflector~Digital lighting timer for moon/fuge lighting~7 stage RODI filtration~Quarantine: modified 12.5g Marineland Eclipse

Thanks folks,
    Appreciate the feedback. I'm dripping them now. I'll let you know if I have any issues. When I added the YW my PBT just kind of jumped back, gave him a look or two, and they've become best buds ever since. The pic above is how they usually swim with the wrasse under the PB.

Hey Brooker, although every fish has its own personality, I seriously doubt you'll have any probs. I had the exact same combo as you, including the green hammer with no anemone. The clowns quickly made friends with the hammer and all is well. The PBT did strut its stuff at first and showed a small degree of harassment (a few minutes of chasing) but then soon realized that they were not competing for similar food sources and left them alone. I'm sure you'll have the same experience. Good luck.

Thanks Salt-lik,
    As everyone has guessed there have been no problems in the first day and a half. The PBT gave them "the big fin" a couple of times as Krugar guessed he would. Funny behaviour: The PBT chased the YW around a few times. This never happened before, not even when I added the YW. I'm guessing this was to show the new kids how things work in his tank... hilarious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast