Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want a sump

Want a sump

Is there anyway I can add a sump to my system without having to drill my tank. Already up and running and can't change it now.
    Something like my fluval that can skim the top of the water and return it to the tank. I would like to get a 20 gallon sump or tank that I can make into sump/fuge/return and hide all my tank stuff in it.
    Is there any kits or I can put some piping together. I believe als have that kit (can't remember the name) that I can use as return lines. Would need pump and tank. Just can't figure the best way to get it out of the tank.
    Anyone of you people have this setup. Please let me know
    thanx ahead of time for the help.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

found the cs100. that is a start or build my own.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

liv
    well, its doable but i can't remember the term used for this device, kind of creates a surge on that box and it drains in the sump. But they usually do not work all that great and need constant tweaking.

or you could build your sump over your tank and get your sump drilled instead.. so pump the water up and let it flow back down.
    if you can find a way to hide it or simply don't care.

but i'd personnaly take it apart and drill it.

EDIT: ya.. thats it.. a siphon overflow.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

What are your opinions on this setup?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WET-DRY-FILTER-1...QQcmdZViewItem

I priced the same setup at als and just for the sump and overflow would be 500 bucks.
    I know you get what you pay for, but als is out of my budget and if that one fails me, I can patch or fix the system.
    Just wondering if any of you guys running a system like this.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock

You will find that most people no longer run wet/dry filter systems for marine setups any more. I would strongly suggest staying away from siphon overflows as they are prone to issues. With this setup you need to match the amount of water that the siphon draws down to the sump with the amount of water that is pushed into the tank or you will get a flood, so regular adjusting. As well in a power outage the pump stops but the siphon doesn't until it sucks air. Problem is when power returns the siphon doesn't so your pump will empty the sump into the tank and again flood, add an ATO into mix and you have an even bigger flood. There are overflows that are supposed to restart the siphon but they use a pump which can and will fail at some point. I guess what I am trying to say is drill the tank or leave it as is until you can get it drill.

For the sump it really is just a small tank where you can hide the skimmer, heater, pumps, etc. So either just get an old aquarium and add in some glass baffles or make one out of acrylic, either can work well.

Good luck.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

Thanks shipwreck. I may as well just stay with what I have. My next tank will be drilled.
    The only thing I don't like is I can't get that oil slick look off of the top of the water. Tried the fluval surface skimmer but just pushed out more air bubbles than anything else. Too much current on the water for the thing to stay still and work properly.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock

I would also strongly recommend staying away from a siphon overflow. I had one in the past and always had problems with it.
    You could still drill the tank without having to empty the entire thing. Drill it at the top right or left hand corner, add an elbow and voila!
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by solowma View Post
    Thanks shipwreck. I may as well just stay with what I have. My next tank will be drilled.
    The only thing I don't like is I can't get that oil slick look off of the top of the water. Tried the fluval surface skimmer but just pushed out more air bubbles than anything else. Too much current on the water for the thing to stay still and work properly.
    You might try directing the flow of a powerhead as close to the surface as you can without making a mess. The extra flow should keep that film broken up which is proabably the most important thing. Apart from looking disgusting that film is most likely impeding proper gas exchange.

Siphon overflow + Aqualifter + Batterypack is what im running. No problems so far and i've played around with 'what ifs' to see if i would run into problems.
    10.G Nano Reef
    40.G Reef (ITW)

liv
    its doable for sure.. but takes alot of tweaking.
    one thing I would recommend if you are going with a siphon; get big sump ( to buffer the overfills in case of power failures )

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast