High Pressure Wash

Well, I thought I'd ask opinions on this one! I have to tear down the tank anyway due to an episode with my skimmer. So with the algae problem that was existing can I HP wash the algae off my rock. I know I'll be killing off any beneficial critters but would there be any other side effects.
    I live in a mail-order town!!!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

The aglae (hair algae?) exists because of an imbalance in your system causing nutrients which feed the bad algae. So, you could powerwash it off, but unless you find the imbalance and correct it, it will just come back.

Why powerwash it anyway with presumably fresh water? Why not just take a medium nylon bristle brush and scrub the rock in marine water?

Tips for fixing the nutrient problem:

1) Use good water. RO/DI or distilled.
    2) Water changes
    3) Good skimmer working properly.
    4) A refugium with cheato macro algae.
    5) Lots of clean-up crew. I use a mix of 1 snail/hermit crab per gallon of water, one tuxedo urchin per 50 gallons, 1 black brittle star per 50 gallons, a cleaner shrimp/50 gallons and a tiger-tail cucumber.
    6) Patience to let all of the above work.

Lol, the rocks came with hair algae believe or not. I've never been able to rid it completely , it always dies right down and then comes back. The tank is probably going to be down for a while so I might try "cooking" it instead of blasting the heck out of it. I never thought about it much but the surging of growth may be centered around the waterchanges though. I use filtered natural sea water but I'm thinking of using IO salt on the next one only because with the rising cost of gas it now has become par with the cost of the salt and if bought in balk, I save! Thanks for the good info thou Zookeeper, I will definitely utilize it!
    If you don't feel like standing behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them!!!

liv
    ya, prob is most likely with water params...the LR is most likely fine.
    I'd keep the LR alive at all costs until you are ready for your next setup, if not, just stack if dry with a cloth on top of it and let it dry until you are ready. wont be alive anymore.. also make sure you leave it in saltwater for a few weeks once you decide to re-use it with heated pumps, and heaters.. the dieoffs could be nasty and cause unnecessary spikes. once you get close to setting it up, get more LR to resead it.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Yeah Liv it would be better kept live, Would it matter if I contained in a lot smaller bucket and did multiple waterchanges. Basically isnt that what you doing when cooking. The rocks with zoo's, polyps, and other corals are getting cover too as its spreading. I'm not running the skimmer til I can find a clamping system I trust but once I figure that out I'll fire it back up.

liv
    or even better.. offer it to someone in your neighbourhood if they can hold the rock for you in their sump until you are ready. hand remove the algea and have him do the same. tell him he gets what ever corals can grow on it over the next weeks/months should keep them happy he he he

if you do not find anybody, you will need either a big tub to put it all in, or multiple smaller ones.
    the advantage of the bigger one is less electrical stuff needed.
    you will need heaters, powerheads at least. skimmer wouldn't be bad either to aerate the water.
    water changes also.

alot simply lending the rock to someone else.. or even sell it and get more when you are ready.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Blasting live rock with a pressure washer sound like a really good way to get very sick. With all the bacteria ect on the rock you will be vapourizing.... Not a good idea..

I had the same problem, then I decided to "cook" my LR in darkness for 6weeks. I never got algeee ever again!