Sea pen VS Yellow tang VS Me.

Well this morning I woke up to see my sea pen on the other side of my tank between some rocks. I have read that these type of coral will up root itself from the sand and move to a different area. I figure it was my tang that caused this. He just picks at him.
    So after seeing this, I decided to move him off of the rocks and back to the sand bed. :b9: Well, bad idea. My tang would not let me close to him. Eventually he gave up, but I have never seen him do this. He is usually very timid.
    Couple of questions, what can I do or feed my tang that I already don't to keep him away from the sea pen.
    Second, I noticed when I bought my sea pen that he was a bright white colour and now is usually a brownish colour. When I flipped him over this he was bright white. Could this be due to stress or my lighting?
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

Tangs are not as reef "friendly" as they first seem. A local reefer had a blue tang that would pick up frags and move them all over the tank, for no real reason. Your tang may be board, hungry or just doesn't like the decor. As for food you could try keeping nori on a clip to graze on all day.

For the sea pen I did a little looking on the web and found there are alot of different 'sea pens' around the world. The bright white may have been the stressed color with the brownish being a healthy color or it could be the other way around. A more positive Id of the source and species would be required to answer that.

I believe all (or at least most) are non photosynthetic so your lighting should not be an issue but they then do require ample feedings to survive.

I would try to move it somewhere else in the tank or even the fuge so the tang does not bother it, feed it well and see what happens.

How long have you had the sea pen for?
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    do you keep weed clips around in your tank ? add nori to it in strips and let him grase all day. he might just be hungry.

my tangs seem to have a taste for zoos when they are too hungry. ( i think they do it to punish me he he he ) so I keep their belies filled and they dont touch a thing. ( I feed them twice a day.. ) morning/noon and ~18:00.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

I thought I was on the wrong site when I first read the Headline, Sean Penn VS Yellow Tang, what a stupid actor thinking he could take a surgeon fish!! LOL
    Mark
    90g Display, 30gal sump w/ refugium, MAS CR418 calcium reactor w/ Mag5 and Blueline CO2, Vertex IN-180 protein skimmer w/ Mag5, Mag9.5 return, 150 Phosban Reactor w/ MJ 1200, 1 Ebo 200w heater, 90lbs. LR, 80lbs. Carib-Sea aragonite, Cooltouch MH lights -2 x 400watt (20K & 14K) PFO hoods & Coralife 65w PC in custom hood with fan, Coralife 3-3/4watt mini moonlights, 8 jet Closed Loop System w/Reef-flo Dart, Aqua-Safe RO/DI, JBJ Auto Top Off unit w/Mag 5 return, 12g Nano cube, 10g quarentine.

LOL...

As for the sea penn. It is Pennatula - Sea pen

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...%3Den%26sa%3DG

the store said it was a papaya sea pen but this is the closest thing that I found was above. Dumb Als (innes)
    I feed my tang sea weed flakes everyday. I do have a clip with seaweed but everytime I put it in, I get a algae bloom like crazy.
    I will see how things go when I get home tonight. Maybe he will be happier tonight where I put him in the tank.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

well he didn't like where he was. He was back up on the rocks all pulled in. I moved back to his happy space and he is opening up again.
    I also put my clip in with some seaweed but the tang hasn't gone for it yet.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    280 lbs of Assorted rock

liv
    try brocoli or spinach.
    both are faily strong so should hold on pretty good even with lots of current.
    tangs love brocoli and its very good for them. ( just like for us he he he

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30