Thread: tiger cowrie?

tiger cowrie?

I have a tiger cowrie that is about 2.5 inches long and a real good cleaner. The LFS told me this thing is completely reef compatible but can be a bit of a bulldozer in the tank. That is fine, I can pick the corals back up.
    My question is, my recent purchase of a LTA might be a problem. Will this snail go after it and my polops? Reading a little more up on them say they will even eat a hatian LTA and soft corals. If this is the case, he is out of the tank asap.
    Damn LFS (won't say who) doesn't know what the hell they are talking about.
    Thanx in advance.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

liv
    Hi,
    As long as it has enough food ( algea, fish poo and food scraps from the fish feedings) it will be fine. Not providing this may result in LPS, anemone and fish loss. Specially as an adult. But at 2.5" its not an adult yet but getting there for sure. Most get to be 3-4" or so as adults. so you possibly got a few months/years ahead of you. watch it carefully
    and provide it with extra algea if you feel your tank canot provide enough for it.

reading online, most recommend them in fish only systems and are semi-aggresive in nature. they need strong lighting and calcium shoud be around 400.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

well it has been a week so far and the tank does look cleaner. The wife really likes it and that is why we got it. Well, I will see how it goes and first sign of mischief, he will be finding a new home.
    I noticed that after reading more on it, they do recommend fowlr tank. LFS should be a little more informed. I just hate how they will sell anything to anyone. I keep telling myself I am not going to get anything there anymore, but it is so much closer and better hours than other stores (hint, hint)
    I have even seen them sell fish to a woman ahd her bo fish that are not compatible. eg: lionfish, couple of different tangs and a wrasse all in one sale. 500 dollars down the tube. :b9:
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

I had a tiger cowrie start munching on my soft corals. Into the fuge he went!! I imagine he only started on the coral because there was not enough algae for him.