My high nitrate problem

I know this is going to bring up some discussion. Quick history from another thread. 20 to 30 ppm and wouldn't come down. Mild cyano outbreak. Started a mild dose of sugar. :b13: What a mistake. The cyano bloom got out of control. My nitrates peaked to 100 ppm. Killed my tiger cowrie and that didn't help. Reading some biology books on cyanobacteria, says it likes carbons and phosphates. :032: Sugar=carbon. So I stopped the sugar right away and started to freak out. Now I never had a real problem with nitrates. Always between 5 to 15 ppm. (I know that is a little high) But I don't have a sump or refuge so that hinders me.
    So, I bought puralock nitrate remover, 20 % water changes and still wasn't bringing it down. Cut back lighting and more water changes. Little improvement but not satifactory. Still at 50 ppm. Tried "cycle" recommended by a friend. No real change. Started water changes every night, (10%) sucking out cyano as I go. Used phosphate remover.
    Now I don't like to medicate a tank and with 10 years experience with freshwater, only did for ich, I finally went and bought some "Ultra Red Slime".
    I dosed the tank. :b15: Let me tell you, WOW. My nitrates dropped from 30 ppm to 10 within hours. I know, probably a mistake you are thinking. I have been testing my tank in the morning, as soon as I get home from work and 2 to 3 hours after my water changes. I read my nitrate and at 40 ppm, changed water, waited, down to 30 ppm. Pulled my hair out, dosed the tank and 3 hours later, 10 ppm.
    I am writing this to just give you my experience and tell you exactly what happened. The Cyano is gone now, nitrate is 10 ppm and holding. All I have to say is WOW.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.

Are you using RODI water?
    225g SSB display, World Fish Custom Sump/Fuge/Filter, H&S A250-2X1260, h&S sulphur reactor, Reeflo Dart 3600g return on a wavy sea plus, 4X Tunze 6101, Deltec PF600, Octopus 3000, Aquazone Ozone 100,
    Lights: 2X250W 10K XMs, 1X400W10K XM, 6XT5s Al lights controlled by AC Jr.

liv
    Good to know that it worked for you !!

Adding some of those chemicals is sometimes scary.. and done in extreme cases. if nothing died as a result of the dosing, then lucky you !!

congrats and hope it keeps going this way!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

liv
    I second that.. go RODI and don't look back.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

ijo
    I heard some good things about this stuff aswell but I think its a shorterm solution... it definately helped you get to where you want to be but the cyano may creap up on you if we do not get to the root of the problem(it might of been the sugar like you say)

I would continue to use phosphate removers and RODI water to make sure you stay ontop of the problem. If the nitrates come back there is definately a bigger problem we have not spotted

IJO

Quote Originally Posted by solowma View Post
    The Cyano is gone now, nitrate is 10 ppm and holding. All I have to say is WOW.

that's great, i 've never heard of the remover doing anything for nitrates but who knows. it will be interesting to see what happens once you get your skimmer going and things settle down.

quick warning about the slime remover, it is a bactericide and can kill good bacteria along with the bad. this can cause a mini-cycle while the bacteria replenishes its self.

Quote Originally Posted by IJO View Post
    I would continue to use phosphate removers and RODI water to make sure you stay ontop of the problem.
    i agree, if there are still phosphates in the tank the cyano could return
    `

120S RR tank with 60G basement sump / fuge

Return Pump: Little Giant 4-MDQX SC
    Water Movement: MP40W, Seio 1500, (2) Hydor K4's
    Lighting: 400W SE MH with 10K Venture
    Skimmer: Euro-Reef RS250 with gate valve
    Other: RODI, RDSB, PO4/AC reactor

My Gallery

I am using RO water. Infact, went out and bought the unit to combat this problem and still was losing. As for killing the good as well as the bad bacteria, I am aware of that. I am going to do a water change on tomorrow to be on the safe side and add some cycle to it. Everything in the tank looks good, in fact, better with the lower nitrates.
    Now that I have got the nitrates down to a reasonable level, need to use that gift certificate I won and get some more cleaner crew.
    150 (reef) 56 (FOWLR)
    75 gal sump 25 gal refuge
    300lbs CaribSea Aragonite Reef Sand
    280 lbs of Assorted rock
    Tunze 9010 skimmer, Current USA 48" Fixture
    1 cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp
    50 blue legged hermit, 15 nausaurus/astrea snails
    Yellow tang, 2 clowns, 1 blue chromis, 1 yellow watchman 1 corral beauty
    Colt coral, Frogspawn, Bubble, Donut coral, Mushrooms,Starburst green, Green and orange polyps an Umbrella coral, Purple Long Tentacle Anemone.