Hagen Tank question

A friend gave me a 77 gal Hagen tank 48"X16"X24"tall, 3/8 inch glass it was used as a reptile tank and never seen water. when I was filling it up (no leaks ) :b16: I noticed that the top was bowed a bit? It doesn't have a center brace but with the bow, it has me worried. Is this normal for a tank to bow? or am I just being paranoid?

liv
    some tanks bow. I don't like it either, but i've seen some pretty crazy curves without issues. If you are not confortable with it, you could add some euro-bracing on it. ( basically, you get some glass to cover the top edges of the tank like in this picture:

will make the tank that much stronger.
    you can also get all this glass at your local glass shop for not that expensive.
    if you can cut glass yourself, even cheaper, ask them for scraps to practice and even scraps for the pieces.

install this with the water out of the tank of course so it keeps its shape with the water in it. use aquarium silicone to attach the glass together.

hope this helps.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

First off Welcome to AquariaCanada!

I personally would be very concerned with any tank bowing but especially a commerically available one. Was this sold as a reptile tank or did you friend remove any bracing around the top?

At the very least I would follow Liv's advice on adding the glass eurobracing for strength. I personally wouldn't suggest using the cat as part of the design as shown but if it worked for Liv :011:

On the other hand I would also consider purchasing a new tank for peace of mind. Silicone can absorb chemicals and leach them back so with a reptile tank there may be stuff there you don't want into the water. Also silicone will dry out or become weaker if not submerged. Having a reptile tank usually means having it fairly hot with even a possible heat lamp which may have dried/weakend the joints. They aren't leaking now but something to consider. If you wait about a month (gathering the other equipment) the BigAl's boxing week sale is usually a good place to get a cheap tank.
    Rob
    -----
    Upgrade in the works! Keep looking for an update.

liv
    ya.. didn't think about the reptile setup.. ya.. definitely could have dried it.
    i've seen quite a few tanks bow.. scary stuff for sure.
    you could always modify it and make it a hell of a big sump with half the water in it.. would probebly be alot safer.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30